Auto Start/Stop Removal Option for 2022 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start/Stop Removal Option for 2022

Wife and I ordered an XLT last week we didn't have the option to include it. Seems orders right now are forced to remove it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't mind it, it's fairly seamless.
I did track MPG in my 16 F150 XTL 2.7 & there wasn't an appreciable difference with it engaged or not.
I've now had Auto S/S in 4 vehicles, and it doesn't bother me enough to worry about trying to disable it.
2016 F150 XTL 2.7 - 32k miles, never any battery or starter issues
2015 Mercedes C300 Sport pkg - 50k miles, had a charging system fault the last month or 2 I owned it. Never any starting performance issues, but the auto-stop stopped working with no warning lights apart from charging system fault. Assuming it was the aux battery that needed replacing.
2018 Expedition Max Limited - 7k miles so far, auto-stop doesn't seem to engage very often. Cluster display says due to vehicle charging usually. Assuming I should start budgeting for a new battery in the not distant future.
2020 Explorer Limited - Under 1k so far, but the auto-stop seems to work well. I've found you can give the wheel a tug & it'll restart the engine. Assuming it interprets this as you needing to maneuver.

The above Mercedes kept full steering control with the engine off in auto-stop mode. All 3 Fords lock the steering.

I hate it. Batteries and starters cost enough without hurrying the process. My commute is only eight miles & eleven traffic lights, so if I didn't switch A.S.S. off, I'd have three days worth of start-ups every day. I shudder to think where I'd be if it was 30 miles and 40 stops. As stated, no appreciable fuel savings, so it seems a total negative.

I have a BMW M340i with the mild hybrid system and it has a separate small 48 volt battery that is used for the start-stop capability. AFAIK it never uses the 12 volt battery to start the car. The only catch is that it has a unique battery management system to ensure both batteries are properly charged, and using a standard trickle charger on the 12 volt battery is usually not effective. This has created some problems with infrequent use during Covid.

I hate it. Batteries and starters cost enough without hurrying the process. My commute is only eight miles & eleven traffic lights, so if I didn't switch A.S.S. off, I'd have three days worth of start-ups every day. I shudder to think where I'd be if it was 30 miles and 40 stops. As stated, no appreciable fuel savings, so it seems a total negative.
The batteries and starters in those with the feature are not your average ones. They have been designed with extra 'wear and tear' in mind.

Peter

The batteries and starters in those with the feature are not your average ones. They have been designed with extra 'wear and tear' in mind.

Peter
Not buying that, since the failures will occur after warranty expiration (look at all the recalls Ford has), but that means they'll last even longer if I turn that idiotic "feature" off.

"Most such systems already keep the car's accessories—lights, wipers, audio system, climate control—operating as standard." There goes the battery. You'll never convince me that using a mechanical device 50 times a day wears the same as twice a day.

"Most such systems already keep the car's accessories—lights, wipers, audio system, climate control—operating as standard." There goes the battery. You'll never convince me that using a mechanical device 50 times a day wears the same as twice a day.
Hi Mike. I don't think my feature has come close to operating 50 times in the 39 months I've had it. Perhaps 15 or 20. I can't even recall the last time it kicked in. Has to be a few months ago. :) As for the battery, it seems that current batteries in vehicles even without that feature are being replaced on a regular basis and far sooner than in the old days.

Peter

Back