Auto Tranny Fluid Levels??General Trans. Questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Tranny Fluid Levels??General Trans. Questions...

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
I think that my tranny is too full. I check it warm in idle (Park) and it seems to be above the top hole in the dip stick.

Should I worry about this?
What kind of ramifications can this have on my tranny?
How often should I change my filter, get a power flush?

If it is too full could I just change the filter empty and leave it. Or do I have to drain the fluid to change the filter.

Any info will help.. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wish I could provide an answer but yesterday after
some minor work done in the tranny area I also noticed that my fluid level seems very high. I drove the vehicle until hot and placed in park with the engine still running as I repeatedly checked the stick. It was significantly above the crosshairs. I checked my receipt for the cooling line seal replacement work that was done and noticed a quart of fluid was added. Auto mechanics is not exactly my strong suit so I can only trust that the tech knows what he is doing.

You can drop the tranny pan, and that will drain 3-4 qts out. Whille your in there, replace the filter. Get it all back together, and check the level and add any if needed. On how many miles before you change the fluid, I would recommend changing every 30,000 miles. I'm sure some other people will chime in with their opinions too. Good Luck.

You do not want your level too high because it will cause excessive pressure.

Yes I have heard that too much fluid is just as bad as too little fluid. I had mine serviced at the dealer and they said it was way too full. When I got it back it shifted like a dream.

Yeah to much pressure will cause hard shifts and seals to blow out. We have personally rebuilt many transmissions that friends of ours have done like that at the track.

Back