• Register Today It's free!

AWD or 2Wd tail housing for 5.0

fordX302

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna,De
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD xlt
i found a 2wd driveshaft..... ive been told by a friend that i have a 2wd outputshaft and housing already for my truck. they came in awd housing an 2wd. how do i tell the difference.... its a 5.0 awd truck. the tranny looks to be a normal 2wd tranny. the t-case is about 8-10 inches behind it connect by a short driveshaft. i should be able to just bolt the driveshaft of a 2wd explorer right to it? correct? please help me, so i know whether to order it or not. thanks guys.

fordX302 said:
i found a 2wd driveshaft..... ive been told by a friend that i have a 2wd outputshaft and housing already for my truck. they came in awd housing an 2wd. how do i tell the difference.... its a 5.0 awd truck. the tranny looks to be a normal 2wd tranny. the t-case is about 8-10 inches behind it connect by a short driveshaft. i should be able to just bolt the driveshaft of a 2wd explorer right to it? correct? please help me, so i know whether to order it or not. thanks guys.

I'm confused. Are you trying to convert from AWD to 2wd? Or are you replacing your rear drive shaft? If your just replacing it the length will be wrong. Also the AWD and 2wd transmissions are the same for the 5.0. There really is no such thing as a 2wd transmission for Explorers.

so your telling me i can rip ouy my transfer case and install the 2wd driveshaft??? its currently awd. i need 2wd to bag it properly... i know i have to replace the front end with 2wd parts. i was just worried about the drive shaft change out.

Back