Axle Seal Part Number / Confirmation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Seal Part Number / Confirmation

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
So after thinking it was my CV that was leaking, it looks to be more like the axle seal on the drivers side. However I can't seem to find a part number, even checked on Fordparts.com and the only axle seal that came up was for the passenger side.

The passenger side seal shows a part number 3254 at this URL:

Ford Parts

Assuming this is the right diagram though it looks like I would need either 4B413A - Axle Differential Bearing Bushing or 4B416 - Differential Side Cover Seal. Heck, at $30 for the pair of them I might just buy both.

Am I looking at the right parts? When I put in 2008 Ford Explorer and searched for axle seal no other results came up. I am assuming no differences between V6 and V8? I have a AWD V8. From reading online it appears the axle seal is fairly easy to replace, I would assume the differential seal is just as easy?

Is this likely the culprit? there is grease, but not thick like CV grease flung all around the inner area of the drivers side axle. I get clicking sounds when going straight or turning to the right, the sound goes away when turning left (I may have that backwards, its definitely drivers side, sound goes away when weight transfers to other side).

Thanks.

Your description of grease and clicking noises point more toward the axle shaft/CV joint being the problem. Bear in mind if the axle can flop around it will cause the axle seal to leak. As you have to remove the axle/half-shaft to replace the seal, do yourself a favor & replace both. I recall finding seal and axle choices at Rockauto.com but mine was done under warranty so the shop (not a dealer) got the parts locally. You should be able to find them.

Back