• Register Today It's free!

B1342 and C1285

stkelly

Reaction score
City, State
Laytonsville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Mountaineer
I'm randomly getting service RSC now, the traction control and ABS light. Along with alert tone that comes with it.

If I shut off the truck and restart it sometimes it won't come back for a couple hundred miles, other times it'll come back right away. The truck continues to drive like nothing has happened. It doesn't randomly brake, or lurch like I've read on here when others have received the above warning lights/message. I'm assuming the ABS and traction control is disabled, but I can't tell while I'm driving.

When I hook up my scanner I get B1342 (ABS module fault) and C1285 (Brake booster fault) as gray faults. Meaning, it hasn't happened enough to set a check engine or wrench.

I've search and see others who've had B1342 usually have it with a faulted wheel sensor. They replace the wheel sensor, hub or tone ring of the wheel identified and all is well. I'm not getting any faulted wheel sensors and my rear tone rings look perfectly fine.

I found one post where someone had both of the above codes and a tech recommended replacing the ABS module over the brake booster. Problem is, the person never responded back with what they did or if he fixed the problem. Normally, I would go ahead and just replace both, but the ABS module is about $900. I'd rather not just throw $900 at the issue hoping it's the problem. Also, I've read the B1342 could be due to ignition system interference and to replace all coil packs.

Has anyone had experience with B1342 or C1285 and successfully replaced parts that definitely fixed the issue?

2008 Mercury Mountaineer with 138K miles.

Thanks in advance!

Hi stkelly,

Did you get any solution for this issue. I have exactly same problem now and want to collect more information before going for ABS module replacement.

Thank you.

Hi stkelly,

Did you get any solution for this issue. I have exactly same problem now and want to collect more information before going for ABS module replacement.

Thank you.

I had that same exact problem a couple weeks back, I had a wheel bearing/hub assembly (front left) that had gone bad and was under warranty. Unable to find the receipt I ordered one off Amazon, I put the new bearing on and the exact same thing started, wrench light came on, abs, trac control and the annoying service rsc every so many minutes/miles, I'd never had that issue before replacing the hub (just the annoying growl/hum) so I figured that I must've received one with a faulty abs/wheel speed/antilock brake sensor. Luckily the hub that I'd taken off was purchased at my local Napa store and I was signed up with an online account/rewards so I was able to go back and see the transaction so I took it to the store and luckily they were able to find it in the system and exchanged it for me under the warranty as well as issued me a new receipt for the new one with a restart of the year warranty. Needless to say all is good again, returned the one from Amazon free of charge and was issued a refund within a couple days. The sensor itself runs anywhere between $80-150 just depends on whether you want an aftermarket (Dorman) or name brand (Motorcraft). A new whole hub assembly with the sensor runs $209 at Napa with a 1 year warranty. Not sure if this helps or not was just my experience with a bad/faulty sensor. Good luck and keep us posted with what you find out.

Back