• Register Today It's free!

bad engine? bad sensor? need help

laurab

Reaction score
City, State
Lachine Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
here is the low down. my explorer was having starting problems, then one day it would not start and with trying to start it, it fried the starter. changed the starter now it starts but it knocks and sputters and backfires. checked the codes and they were as follows:

code 14 profile ignition pick-up circuit fault
code 41 no heated oxygen sensor witch detected, right side

Now the PIP was just changed about two months ago, and not sure if code 41 can cause the problems we are experiencing.

The knocking happens when it is idling or when taking off from a stop.
Also, when we tried to read the codes for a second time with the key on engine off it started making a clicking noise which would only stop if the fuse for the FPR was taken out and the code reader couldn't read codes any more.

If anyone could help would be really grateful. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how many miles are on it and what general tuneups have been done?

about 190000 km. changed the spark plugs, wires, oil, oil filter.

sorry it is not 190000 km it is about 230000 km.
changed the oxygen sensor today and it is still doing the same thing. is there anything else that could cause that problem?

Sounds to me like you may have a fault in the power/ground circuit to the computer.

Note that PIP doesn't normally refer to a sensor, it refers to a circuit coming out of the ignition control module. Basically, I'm not sure what you replaced when you say you replaced the PIP.

Bad O2 sensor can cause driveability problems, but rarely that severe.

thanks i will check that.

Back