Bad flexplate and or spacer, but which spacer to order? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad flexplate and or spacer, but which spacer to order?

kindred4x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 sport
Hey guys
I have had a knocking coming from underneath my explorer for some time. So i finally got tired of it and put on a stethoscope and crawled under. The knocking is coming from the bellhousing. So im thinkin i will pull the trans and replace the flexplate with the updated ford part and buy the updated sonnax spacer. My question is that im not sure which spacer to buy. There is a 6 hole and a 8 hole spacer, both of them are listed for my truck. Im pretty sure it's the 6 hole but i just want to make sure. The truck is 1996 sport 4 wheel drive with trans code T so im almost positive it is the 4r55e. Any help would be helpful and any pointers on any gremlins i might run into are also helpful.

Trusted my judgement and bought the six hole spacer and the six hole updated ford flywheel. Pulled the trans and it was the the six hole application. Stock flywheel looked good, but the stock spacer had a little bit of abnormal wear. Replaced both parts with updated parts and still knocks.

B Bay,
That is what im starting to think. That it is the torque converter or pump. Im kind of kicking myself in the rear because i did not inspect both parts while i had the tranny out. It did cross my mind though the only tranny issues i have though are the famous flare that i have read about in the diary and other posts. Which is work in progress after i buy a house. Im going to buy a valve body from central valve bodies and replace the servo piston seal? with the updated ford seal. Im usually good with pin pointing a problem but i am lost with this one. Any help and thoughts would be great

Back