Bad rattle in the front of '01 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad rattle in the front of '01 Explorer Sport

AgDrumma07

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
2001 Explorer Sport
147k miles
V6 2WD

I've taken this car to 4 mechanics and they cannot solve this problem. There is a very bad rattle under the front of my car. It is a loud, metal-on-metal "clacking" noise that happens when going over bumps (any size). If the brakes are applied, there is no rattle, so that leads me to believe it's brake-related. It seems to be coming mostly from the driver's side.

This is the work I've done within the past 9 months, aside from regular maintenance:
- new shocks on front and rear
- new upper control arm on passenger side
- front brake caliper pins were changed and lubed, and the calipers were tightened
- new sway bar links in the front

The brakes are skipping a bit but look fine upon inspection. Fog lights, headlights, etc are not loose. Tonight I went out and hit the driver's side tire with my hand and you can hear the rattle even with the car in park and the parking brake applied.

Any ideas?

Surprised to see lower ball joints not mentioned. At 147K, I'm sure they've been replaced at least once before.
Also check all four UCA camber bolts @ 98 ft/lb. I had the RR come loose 1/8" causing a very loud clank and pop.
Lift each tire by the LCA, and check for any movement. Hard to believe four techs would miss that, but it's possible.

Back