Bad Smell from 2002 explorer

cmcdonald74

Reaction score
City, State
bobo, arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello,

I have a bad smell coming from the A/C in my 2002 Ford Explorer. I just smell it when the air is turned on. I have seen on various posts to either:
  • replace filter
  • spray lysol into a/c intake to kill resident mold

Does someone know if the 02 model has a filter? If not, where would I spray this lysol?

Thank you in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive heard of like chipmunks, squirrels, mice etc crawling into the heater and dying....causing an ass horrid smell lol...

Lets hope its just your filter :p

Mine smells like mildew for the first minute or so, but then it clears up. I asked my mechanic when I was getting it inspected if he'd be able to replace the cabin air filter. He said that ours aren't removable for some reason....so I'm guessing the best bet is the lysol (I think they make sprays just for this purpose, but I'm sure lysol is cheaper and works just as well).

yeah theres no cabin filters on the 3rd gens.

Ive seen this stuff that you clean your AC with...
Its a rapidly expanding foam treatment.
You spray it into the evaporator box though the drain near the bottom of the firewall under the truck.
It expands and cleans the evaporator box leaving a mildew free system.
I cannot remember the name of the stuff though.... If I think of it.. Ill post back.

yeah theres no cabin filters on the 3rd gens.

Ive seen this stuff that you clean your AC with...
Its a rapidly expanding foam treatment.
You spray it into the evaporator box though the drain near the bottom of the firewall under the truck.
It expands and cleans the evaporator box leaving a mildew free system.
I cannot remember the name of the stuff though.... If I think of it.. Ill post back.

Found it..
http://www.ac-evaporator-cleaner.com/frigi-clean-ackit.htm
BG Frigi-Clean® & Frigi-Fresh® A/C System Cleaner KIT
$31.97

The lysol is a quick fix. Turn the AC on high in the recirculate mode. Open the windows, and spray the lusol into the center vent on top of the dash. It will usually last about a year.

do as above but if you drop the glove box the intake is right behind, just pinch in the sides and it will drop down, spray a can in there. . .
No filter so critters can get in . . .

I'm getting the same thing. Some funk arse smell when first turn on the ac. So is the filter replaceable on a 97 Explorer? If so where the heck is the dang thing? THis is my first Explorer, heck this is my first Ford ever. Chevy man now owning a Ford,lol.

Back