banging metal sound coming from bellhousing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

banging metal sound coming from bellhousing

bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
just got done rebuilding and installing the motor in my x replaced all the solenoids in tranny along with torque converter when i turned it over no plugs it was fine then i went to start it for real the first time im getting a loud metal claterring coming from bellhousing i know i installed flexplate,seperator plate and bolts correctly. thought it was a bad starter so pulled, tested it, its good so i reinstall it the only thing else it could be is im thinking the torque converter making that noise but its new and company claims testing all their converters including a final spin test on input shaft ........the chances ugh im hoping its something more simple than tearing it all down again to put in my old torque converter on (it was still good) on a maybe

any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Broken flexplate or bolt somehow up in there?

flexplate seemed ok no visual damage when i reinstalled it no damage from visual from what i can see through starter hole and inspection cover i mean as soon as the the motor started running on its own for the first time the noise came and im positive its not the motor im thinking it can only be something with the starter or a seriously messed up new torque converter. but maybe im missing something else?

Ok did some research and was worried that pump damage could have resulted if improperly seating torque converter I did however seat it improbably at first but I noticed it as I was lining up the engine and fixed it before fully fitting the motor and putting in bolts I'm also under the assumption that the pump isn't being driven in park and at idle the noise immediately started when the engine fired up if the torque converter was messed up you think I would hear banging when I turned it over with no plugs to prime oil so I'm still leading on the starter if the starter works fine out of truck hooked straight to battery what would make it stick while installed bad relay/ solenoid??? I did try to start the vehicle when i hydro locked it while the starter was completely submerged any thoughts????

Well I guess the pump is being driven at all times so broken pump is a possible culprit ...sigh it was enough headache rebuilding the engine now this! I'm over it my whole summer was spent working on this thing

You're not the only one bud. Believe me. The past 10 years of my life have been constantly repairing my vehicles to get to work. An engine in my 96 explorer, 2 engines in my Mustang, and 2 or 3 engines in my old SHOs's, clutch jobs, transmissions, suspension parts, brake parts etc.

Don't get down just keep busting ass and one day it will all work out. The past 3 years have been rough for me and I've had literally no life, just working my ass off constantly feeling like I'm getting no where, but that's life.

Anyway, can you post a video of the sound or are you scared to fire it up in fear of causing more damage?

I'm going to disconnect torque converter and briefly start the motor so I can narrow down the problem if it doesn't make the noise then it's the pump and the transmission is going to be completely rebuilt I start already not fit bought all the parts besides the pump was originally going to do the trans with the motor until I realized how much life I'm missing out on working on this thing the biggest disappointment was l is I'm most likely going to have to cancel this offroad trip iv had planned for over a year

If you haven't checked yet, check your torque converter bolts. Some may have loosened up. I buddy of mine had this exact same noise on his old K5 Blazer. Turned out to be loose torque converter bolts. I once had a noise on a manual trans Chevy big block, which turned out to be a loose flywheel bolts. Torque to spec and use red Loctite.

ill check when i get a chance but i just put them in all on tight and noise started as soon as the motor fired up. didnt make noise while i was spinning it with just the starter if i broke the pump it would surprise me because i was pretty cautious but at this point it makes most sense i guess because i cant figure what else it could be maybe it could of broke when i was originally trying to fit the motor before i rechecked it a final time before installing any bolts

Bump.Ok so I pulled the tranny and disassembled nothing wrong with any of that stuff torque converter bolts were tight so......still haven't found the noise maker

Things I've changed before the noise
Rebuilt engine
Torque converter

Things I know are not the issue
Transmission/ pump
Flywheel and or bolts
Torque converter nuts
Starter

Things I've noticed
Separator plate a little warped around out side edge but not enough to contact flywheel

Possible culprits
Engine , crank,(hope not)
Separator plate possibly
Torque converter
Starter ( highly doubt it)

And.....transmission to oil pan spacer reused original and don't think it would of caused this big a problem right of the bat

Any thoughts would really hate to put this all back together to have to pull right back out again and start from square one any special procedures I might of missed putting the engine back in

Remember it is a very loud random but constant banging scraping noise that sounds like flywheel noise coming from bell housing

Back