Best Firestone Tire for 2002 Explorer XLS - On road only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Firestone Tire for 2002 Explorer XLS - On road only

noles4life002

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Firestone is having a huge you pay what we pay plus a buck deal this weekend and I am looking to replace tires on my wife's explorer. I want something good in rain and snow. Right now I'm leaning towards the Destination A/T's, because I've read such good reviews on tirerack. Anyone have an opinions/suggestions? Just to let you know Firestone is offering 235 70 16's Destination A/T's for $440 out the door in Michigan. This is roughly 36% savings over their current price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stay away from the FIRESTONE DESTINATION LE's...

they attract nails lol... found out today that i have 1 nail in both rear tires...

awesome !

stay away from the FIRESTONE DESTINATION LE's...

they attract nails lol... found out today that i have 1 nail in both rear tires...

awesome !

el oh el
attract nails? sounds like someone was driving where they shouldn't have ;) It's crazy that pointed metal can lodge itself into rubber.

on a serious note, about these tires... they were put on my X brand new when i bought it... August 2009... ive put 19,000 miles on them, and they are wearing very fast...

i keep the tire pressure @ 46 psi... Tire says 45 psi...

i will say that i was quite suprised how they did with the 2 feet of snow we had here in Philly, considering how much wear they have...

def looking into some new rubber soon...

I've never been a fan of the Destinations. I had them for a while and imho, they aren't worth the time it takes to have them put on. Not sure what else Firestone has, not too big of a fan of their tires...I like the General Grabbers, they seem to be a very good tire at a decent price.

Caldwell, you're not supposed to run that much air in the tire. That is the maximum pressure rating and is also the reason why your tires are wearing so fast. Take a peak at the sticker on the inside of your driver's door. I suspect it says the recommended psi is somewhere between 32-35.

Bridgestone name is included in this deal. Maybe I should look there?

A/T will be better in snow for sure. . . .i almost bought those but i went with Michelin
LTX A/T's. . .200 a pop. I had a heep with over 70k on them and there was still tread left. I had to replace them because two had bead leaks, Alum Rim corrosion, and one was cupped due to bad ball joints. . .they still had 4/32's left.

Anyone comment on Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo 2's? I found a few review websites saying that they may be the best on road severe weather tire.

3 friends @ my fire house bought them for their F-150's in a group buy type deal, just before the big storm that the north est got a month ago... they all were very satisfied from what they told me... they all went from factory bfg rugged trails 31's to dueler revo 2 33's...

I have the Dueller A/T Revo on my ex and I love them...great traction in the snow and on the sand, smooth and quiet ride from them also. Highly recommend them.

Back