Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
I have a 1999 ford explorer sport with the 4.0 motor...just hit 90k on the clock. Lately its been having trouble starting. I turn the key and the truck goes "put put put put vroooom" and it takes a good 5 seconds with a turn of the key. While it puts, the whole truck shakes like its trying to come to life. IAC is new; all battery cables new; redtop battery. What could it be? Clogged fuel filter? Needs seafoam? After started, she runs like a dream. Starting is just a pain!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you run a fuel pressure check? almost sounds like your not priming your fuel rail right away. Next time before you start it turn the key to on and wait for the fuel pump to stop running, then turn it off and redo the same thing 2 or 3 times, then try to start it. if it starts better then that is the problem.

Or you could just run a pressure and bleed down test on the fuel rail.

when was the last time you gave it a tuneup plugs, wires, cleaned MAF etc..?

did you run a fuel pressure check? almost sounds like your not priming your fuel rail right away. Next time before you start it turn the key to on and wait for the fuel pump to stop running, then turn it off and redo the same thing 2 or 3 times, then try to start it. if it starts better then that is the problem.

Or you could just run a pressure and bleed down test on the fuel rail.

when was the last time you gave it a tuneup plugs, wires, cleaned MAF etc..?

How do I know when the fuel pump stops running?

The last time I did a full tuneup was when I got the truck at 50,000 miles. Thats when I did plugs/wires/just a complete overhaul. Do you think 40k miles down the road its time for a new tune up?

The last time I did a full tuneup was when I got the truck at 50,000 miles. Thats when I did plugs/wires/just a complete overhaul. Do you think 40k miles down the road its time for a new tune up?

nope you should be good ( as aldive stated)

but it would hurt to clean your MAF.

How do I know when the fuel pump stops running?

listen for the relay/pump to turn off. If you open your window with low background noise you should be able to hear it turn on and then off. The relay click will come from the fuse block under the hood, and the pump wine will come from the tank

it would be best to get a fuel pressure guage and check your line pressure at the fuel rail.

did it ever have the intake seals recall done on it?

Sounds like what mine did when the seals went out.

Now this interests me because I was reading online about this. Can i still get this done at no cost?

Hmmm.. Could be :scratch:

does it have a miss at idle? IE does the rpm surge when idling or does it run good once it is started.

Back