Blank console buttons for mods? Can we finally settle this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blank console buttons for mods? Can we finally settle this?

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer NBX 4.6 4x4
So I was lurking about the internets late this early morning, looking for switches for the "brown wire mod". No doubt I found some nice switches, but I couldn't stop thinking, "Why is there no aftermarket or just blank button set to go on this blank, fake button spot opposite the 4x4 transfer selector buttons? " Can the blank insert buttons be modified to be functional? Are they even buttons? My explorer has the molded blank in this location and not the insert. If they are actually buttons, can the caps be pulled off and placed on a 4x4 selector button set to make it functional and fit in the blank spot? If not, can anyone confirm whether the 2005 to 2009 Mustang buttons (photo included) could be used to swap top and bottom button caps for a functional button? One of the buttons is blank, but is apparently a functioning button with no function (on some Mustangs this button is labeled for traction control and some are blank like in the photo). Also, the blank mustang button can be laser etched for a custom backlit label. I need buttons for the brown wire mod and for my e locker, but it would be super nice if they looked factory. Any help appreciated.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Well on my XLT 03, the blank side was removeable, I added a usb3 charge port to it that comes from the back of the radio (aftermarket Pioneer 2660NEX)
Then I found out the new phone I ordered actually has a AUX port AGAIN!!! so there is another option that may be going in there.
3rd slot is a toughie, Make a USB-C?? put a switch for some sort of lighting? I don't know yet.

I do want to get a RAM mount to be able to bolt in a laptop, but that will wire to the OBD port. Maybe add an inverter and put a regular power port? to plug laptop in? HRMM, decisions.
And your post made it harder LOL.

j/k btw kinda.

On my 02 parts truck i bought, that blank does not look like it will remove from the hvac panel cover btw.

I took a closer look at mine and those buttons are not individual buttons but a large piece that is removable. I have heard that some are and some aren't. If you're going to be cutting into them to add ports and switches, I would think the non removable molded piece would be easier to work with, as the removable type like mine have locking tabs that would be in the way that hold the piece in. That being said, i think both panels, with and without, are interchangeable. It might be easier for you to swap the removable button panel for one with non removable button blank. For my issue, since the piece is removable, I do think that the Mustang switches could be used to make custom switches that would give it a factory look. However, I'm not sure i want to spend or possibly waste the money necessary to find out. I have decided instead to just use the blank space in front of the center console tray, below the air vents to mount a custom switch panel. I also found out that there is not enough clearance in this particular spot behind the panel to mount full size rocker switches, but mini rocker switches will fit. I found a company that makes custom mini switch panels with custom backlit legend(labels). I'm ordering a custom 5 gang switch panel, switches in order accordingly, subwoofer kill switch, light bar, Brown wire mod, front e locker, rear e locker. Now as far as the ports you're adding, I actually did the exact same thing and routed a usb charge port to one of the black switches using an exacto knife and pressing the port through and secured it in the back with epoxy. It looks factory. I also have an inverter that i am working on wiring an outlet right inside the drivers side door, 1 in the passenger compartment, and 2 in the interior quarter panel area in the back. If you search online for auto interior ac outlets you will find some nice factory looking outlets. I would not advise one in your main dash area. I would rather hide one inside the passenger compartment(glove box). You can plug in there and shut it and have a nice hidden ac outlet without a full on ac power cord hanging around your console area. Also, some inverters require a certain amount of load on the circuit before they will power anything so make sure you check this before getting an inverter. For instance, if you plug your phone charger into the outlet and the inverter does not register it as a considerable load, it won't power the device.
Well on my XLT 03, the blank side was removeable, I added a usb3 charge port to it that comes from the back of the radio (aftermarket Pioneer 2660NEX)
Then I found out the new phone I ordered actually has a AUX port AGAIN!!! so there is another option that may be going in there.
3rd slot is a toughie, Make a USB-C?? put a switch for some sort of lighting? I don't know yet.

I do want to get a RAM mount to be able to bolt in a laptop, but that will wire to the OBD port. Maybe add an inverter and put a regular power port? to plug laptop in? HRMM, decisions.
And your post made it harder LOL.

j/k btw kinda.

On my 02 parts truck i bought, that blank does not look like it will remove from the hvac panel cover btw.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I am slow as all get out at getting things done.

I've got my wife, her sister, her sister's daughter who is now husbandless, and my Mother and Father in law, that I have to help out with.

So I got in spurts, I got the radio in, but broke both rear seatbelt bolts. Got one out but the other is proving difficult.
Bonus, no passengers allowed.

Edit: plus I have a full time job with oncall duties as well.

Back