Bought a 2005 Mountaineer......got questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought a 2005 Mountaineer......got questions?

Koontzy

Reaction score
City, State
Olar, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mercury Mountaineer
Ok so my wife and I bought a 2005 mounaineer...We really really love it. My wife had been wanting an explorer, but loves this one...I have a few questions

It is AWD, and it has ADVTrac(sp?)

The ADVtrac button is on the center console by the cupholder, also when I hit the buttons by the steering wheel, It says Auto and Locked for the AWD?

What exactly are each of these and how are they used? Do I keep the ADVTrac button on or off for everyday driving? or leave it on?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What buttons by the steering wheel and where does it say auto and locked?

The owners manual also explains all of the features of your vehicle and how to use them.

If you don't have one here is the link to one.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO5MNT/~MUS~LEN/42/05mntog3e.pdf

The manual doesnt answer my questions though...

Do I keep the ADVTrac on or off for everyday driving?

the three buttons say Info-Setup-Reset. If you hit setup it says AWD: <AUTO> Locked, its in auto right now, but I can make is say Locked...

he manual didnt explain what or how to use them though. I just read it again.

Well the ADVTrac system is on by default or automatically so that in the event of tires starting to spin on slippery surfaces the brakes are automatically applied to the spinning wheels to keep you from losing control. The system also has the ability to try and keep the vehicle from rolling over in the event it detects manuevers that may lead to a roll over. However if you are in sand or mud and get bogged down you may want your wheels to spin to keep you moving. With the system on it will apply brakes to keep the spinning under control and leave you stuck. This would be the only time you would want to turn the system off so your wheels will spin.

SO if your daily driving does NOT involve paved or improved roads turn the system off or you may get stuck easier. Otherwise leave it on to help protect you and your family.

The manual doesnt answer my questions though...

Do I keep the ADVTrac on or off for everyday driving?

the three buttons say Info-Setup-Reset. If you hit setup it says AWD: <AUTO> Locked, its in auto right now, but I can make is say Locked...

he manual didnt explain what or how to use them though. I just read it again.

AdvTrack - i'd just keep it on. . . .its meant for everyday driving.

Never ever, put the AWD in Locked, thats only when your in thick snow, mud etc. Auto is best here. You really don't have AWD more 4WD or ControlTrac with an auto engagement. AWD is always on using a viscous clutch. different animals.

Back