Brake cable spring

joebroni99

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 AWD 5.0
Hi,

I just noticed that my parking brake spring is missing. When you release the parking brake the pedal does not retract all the way. below the drivers side back door is the cable bracket which has a retaining spring attached. My spring is missing all together. And after searching the internet and calling a bunch of auto parts stores, apparently nobody sells these springs. can somebody tell me the correct length of the spring and the tension of the spring so I can try and replace it with a different spring?

just get one from a junk yard, that way you can see it where it goes and take it off, giving you a better understanding of how to put it on yours.
plus its cheap as heck

The only problem I have with getting one from a junk yard is that I could be in the same boat again shortly. I really wouldnt want to put a spring that has going on 20 years of use onto my truck. Especially because it seems like my passenger cable has seized and now the brakes are dragging. Its kinda crazy to replace the cable and have a new one seize up shortly from having little tension from the spring.

The only problem I have with getting one from a junk yard is that I could be in the same boat again shortly. I really wouldnt want to put a spring that has going on 20 years of use onto my truck. Especially because it seems like my passenger cable has seized and now the brakes are dragging. Its kinda crazy to replace the cable and have a new one seize up shortly from having little tension from the spring.

springs like that don't wear out that fast, a used one will do just fine. as for your seizing cable(causing the brakes to "drag") there's not much you can do to fix that other than replace the cable. but you might try spraying WD40 into the cable from under the truck where it leads into the cab, do it slowly and let it "seep" into the cable.

Back