• Register Today It's free!

Brand new starter doesn't spin...

jaggermfjames

Reaction score
City, State
Fond du Lac, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4X4
I've been having trouble figuring out why the starter will not turn over and start the truck. This all started probably a month ago. I replaced the starter (lifetime warranty one from Autozone, now on 4th one in 7 years), last week because the truck was dead and had to get towed home.

Have had it home for a week and found I had to replace the fuel pump/sending unit as that was so rusted the bends coming off the unit broke off, as well as a line which had a pin hole in it. So i get it all put back together today 3 new fuel hoses, pump, and starter. Got the battery hooked up and all it does is go "Klunk", the solenoid on the wheel well clicks off, but the starter will not spin. I've checked resistnace of both neg and pos battery cables and it was 0-1 Ohms. Also visually inspected the cables as best as I could and don't notice any shorts or cuts in the wire.

I then thought to check for volts at the starter with battery hooked up I get 12V direct to the starter posts via the large battery cable. I then took off the smaller wire that goes to the starter, to the starter solenoid, and that is also 12V with the key on after the solenoid on the firewall goes "Klunk" the 12V is no longer there.

SO I can not figure out what is wrong with this thing. Is it the solenoid on the wheel well, or the battery cables are junk? One more thing, the truck battery was charged and is good (actually turned the engine over by about 5" of belt on the A/C compressor, but that was it). I also put the jumpers from another car that was running directly to my battery cables and I got the same symptoms. Although I didn't check for voltage or resistance, but didn't think I had to do that since it didn't make the battery issue doesn't seem to make a difference.

Plase HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, thats the only thing I didnt try. I have started it that way before when my ignition switch in the column went on (just had to have the key on to start). If that did start it I'm assuming the solenoid is bad?

Just put a new solenoind in, and still the same symptoms. I'm getting 12V thru battery cable to the starter post. When key is in cranking position I get 12V through the smaller solenoid wire.

The only thing I can think of is the Park/Neutral switch, where is that, and why wouldnt the starter spin even when I'm getting 12V to the starter through both wires when grounded to the oil pan with mulitmeter?

Hi:

If you apply 12v to the starter cable or the smaller pin on the starter solenoid then you have eliminated the Neutral Start Switch. If the starter does not spin then I would suspect the starter or the starter is not making ground.

As little_x mentioned "...crossing the 2 posts on the starter solenoid..." this really bypasses every thing and you now have 12v direct to the starter without concern for the position of the ignition switch, start switch, neutral switch, etc. Using a jumper cable to connect the pos post to the starter cable eliminates the cables as well.

Trust that helps
PaMnd

Try taking a jumper wire from one of the mounting bolts on your starter to the negative terminal on the battery. It seems like you are not grounding properly.

Back