• Register Today It's free!

Broken tabs on grill trim

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I pulled the grill this morning, to repaint it. The previous owner had done a poor job of turning it black with Plasti-Dip. I cleaned it all off, with the intent of redoing it.

When I took it off, I discovered that the two chrome trim strips are held on by two screws, and a bunch of tabs. On the top piece, every tab, except the far ends, near the screws, was broken. On the bottom, several of them, in the middle, were also broken.

So, now I know what the weird rattling noise in the grill was; the tabs were all moving around. I looked at replacing those two pieces, but they're basically $100 each, which I'm in no hurry to drop. It's a good thing they have the screws holding them on. I think I'll try some 3M VHB tape to help secure them, when I put it back together.

Anyone else discover this problem?

I pulled the grill this morning, to repaint it. The previous owner had done a poor job of turning it black with Plasti-Dip. I cleaned it all off, with the intent of redoing it.

When I took it off, I discovered that the two chrome trim strips are held on by two screws, and a bunch of tabs. On the top piece, every tab, except the far ends, near the screws, was broken. On the bottom, several of them, in the middle, were also broken.

So, now I know what the weird rattling noise in the grill was; the tabs were all moving around. I looked at replacing those two pieces, but they're basically $100 each, which I'm in no hurry to drop. It's a good thing they have the screws holding them on. I think I'll try some 3M VHB tape to help secure them, when I put it back together.

Anyone else discover this problem?

The same thing happened to me. I just replaced it and i paint it the same color as the car.

The same thing happened to me. I just replaced it and i paint it the same color as the car.
Hi Brad. Please add the 'trim level' of the Explorer to your profile. Thanks.

Peter

Back