Buying newer X, 00 or 02?

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I'm in the market for a newer X for my wife. I started looking for a 99-00 (prefer solid rear axle), but my wife really likes a silver 02, and I admit a 02 looks pretty sweet in silver.

Are there any major issues with any of the 99-02 models, engine, tranny, transfer, diffs? I have found a few threads on these problems, but not sure how common they are.

V6 or V8?
OHV or SOHC?
5.0 or 4.6?
4x4 or 4 Auto?

I noticed a few things about the 02 V6 SOHC I drove today. The engine sounded solid, but under heavy acceleration it sounded like it was straining, maybe small exhaust leak, not sure but it sounded a little noisy. Also, the tranny 1-2 shift seemed quick, (close gear ratio), and it wanted to wind out before shifting, I did notice the SOHC did redline up at 6k instead of 4K. And the AUTO 4x4, shifted to 4H easy enough, then 4L once in Neutral, then I couldn't get it out of 4L, tried to roll it in Neutral, backed up, finally back to 4H, engaged 4L again and felt it engage a little rough. It may be just because I don't now how to operate, I think you have to be in Neutral and foot on brake.

Yes you have to be in neutral with your foot on the brake.

There's huge differences between '99 and '02 models. '01 was the last year for the 2nd gen Explorer; '02 was the intro to the larger, more car like 3rd gen Explorer. Unless you're talking about Sport models, in which case they were redesigned in '01 but are essentially the same as a '95 to '01 Explorer.

Back