C4 trans install/swap ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

C4 trans install/swap ?

Well in my sig is my 91 sport hunk of crap. Did the 5.0 swap, and the 5.0 i got came with a T-5 manual. well I'm gonna be using a c4 auto, and i've never dealt with the install of an auto... I had no problem with the removal in install of the T-5 (long story) Anyways, I've search here, and on yahoo and google, and got little info. The most I've found was on a few mustang sites, and they were sayin i gotta make sure the torque convertor properly mounts on the shaft, i believe making three clicks, as it passes over the shaft Dead Link Removed

Well I'm sure some of you guys can help me out here. I assumed it was simple and straight forward install but you guys know anything in particular? Any tips?
Thanks in advance
Pete

What they probably mean is to make sure that the converter is seated in the trans pump properly. You will be able to feel it drop into place, just spin it and feel it slide in.

A question: If you have not already got the C-4, why not consider an overdrive transmission. I have run the C-4 for six years now and wish everyday that I had the OD.

Good Luck,

Why? Because I got a deal for a completely rebuilt one, with dana 20 tcase adapter for 300 from a friend. On top of that... if this truck ever sees above 55mph, chances are hight it'll be on the back of a trailer. Oh, also cause i pick it up on friday, and hopefully install it saturday!

Anyone else with tips? If the project isn't pissing me off, and i remember(some how i always forget to do this) I'll get pictures of the install.

Tips?

Anyone?
Pete

Pete,
Like I was telling you earlier, makign sure you move the torque converter back and forth until it clicks in is essential. IF not, you will burn up the front pump gears due to a lack of lubrication. Installing the C-4 is just like installing any other Automatic transmission. Aligning up the torque converter studs on to the flexpate is the only part that will take a little trial and error. Make sure the Torque Converter doesn't "unseat" itself while installing. Other than that, it's all wrench time.

Good Luck!!!!!
Al - Factory V8 Explorer

Back