Camshaft Position Sensor, will it cause check engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor, will it cause check engine light

Keach

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4x4
Morning Gentleman, need some advice from you guys. I've got the xploder in the shop again. One of the problems is the check engine light. I pulled code using scanner from Autozone and it said bad O2 sensor, bank 2. Took to dealer with a long laundry list, they says its the cam shaft position sensor. I don't trust these guys so I would love your opinions. My Haynes manual doesn't give chk engine light code for cam shaft position sensor.

Thanks for your opinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit High Input
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent

I recently had the engine check light on on my 95 EX.
After misreading the codes and buying several sensors (throttle pos, crank pos.) I finally read the tester correcly and found it to say error 214 (cam sensor) the error was intermittent and when I disconected the sensor the engine light was on all the time. Bottom line is after replacing the sensor myself the the problem was solved. Hope this helps you if you haven't already fixed the problem. EX steve

Ford Certified Technician

Hello I am a ford tech who currently works in the field I am also a shop superivor. If you got a 02 sensor code not a cam sensor, then you probably have intake gaskets leaking which will most likely be covered under the 00m12 campaign (no charge to you). If you actually have a code for a sensor (most likely a crankshaft sensor), you may need the sensor. If I were you I would get the code number and post it. I will review it and tell you what is most likely wrong with it. On sohc motors the most common problem right now that will set a 02 sensor code is the lower intake manifold gaskets leaking and timing chain tensioner rattling. Which is almost all I repair on 98 Exporers (it is very common usually put on about 8 sets of gaskets and tensioner a week). Hope this helped ya

I came across a bench test to check the crankshaft postioner with a DVOM. I think it was in Haynes or Mitchells.

With the postioner hooked up to a DVOM, run a piece of ferrous metal across the end that points to the crank...you are looking for a low AC voltage reading if you get a reading it is OK. (I can't find the exact range)
I think its called the Halls effect where the sensor generates a low AC current which is the signal.

Since it is easy to take out, it is not a big deal to test.

Naturaly I replaced mine with a new before I knew how to test it.
But I did try it on my old one and got the proper reading. So thats how you learn and I have a spare.
For what it is worth.

I think you can do the same for ther CMP.

I'll defer to msupertek for any comments on the reliablity of the test.

Last night I jump-started my sons hunting Jeep with my Explorer running. As I drove home, I noticed a CEL glaring at me. Before I got there the CEL went out. As soon as I got home, I hooked up my OBD II scanner (http://www.autocheckup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=achkup&Category_Code=ST2 ) and did some testing, The results – a P0340 Trouble Code. The scanner said this was a Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I used my scanner and cleared the code. Next, I rescanned and got no trouble codes.

Any ideas what happened?

Back