Can a red "Check Charging System" warning light be a symptom of a bad ignition switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can a red "Check Charging System" warning light be a symptom of a bad ignition switch?

BrownsFan42

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.0
2007 Eddie Bauer, 4.0, 175K miles.

Lately the red "check charging system" light comes on intermittently when driving. I had the alternator and battery checked at AutoZone today, and both are working fine. I think I need a new ignition switch because for over the past year or so, the dome light goes on and off when I hit a bump or brake hard. I jiggle the ignition key while driving when the dome light comes on, and it turns off. I hear a slight click when the light goes off.

Since the alternator checked out and I've got this issue with the dome light, could the ignition switch also be causing the "check charging system" warning light?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2007 Eddie Bauer, 4.0, 175K miles.

Lately the red "check charging system" light comes on intermittently when driving. I had the alternator and battery checked at AutoZone today, and both are working fine. I think I need a new ignition switch because for over the past year or so, the dome light goes on and off when I hit a bump or brake hard. I jiggle the ignition key while driving when the dome light comes on, and it turns off. I hear a slight click when the light goes off.

Since the alternator checked out and I've got this issue with the dome light, could the ignition switch also be causing the "check charging system" warning light?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
An update. Multimeter shows battery is at 12.7 volts when the car is not running. When running, it shows 14.75 volts when the red "check charging system" light is on AND ALSO when that light is off. No difference in alternator when the warning light is on or off.

I jiggled all the wires on the alternator a couple days ago, and the light hasn't come on since. Oh well....maybe it was just some sort of bad connection.

Usually the alternator charge regulator connector gone bad and needs to be replaced

Or

Diode bridge soldered connections became loose with vibrations.

Alternator amperage should be checked with "Sabre" tool as well.the voltage measure only almost means nothing for the alternator diagnostics

It must have been a bad wire connection. Since jiggling the wires on the alternator a couple weeks ago, the "check charging system" red warning light has NOT come back on.

Bad charging system connection could cause voltage regulator permanent failure.

Back