Can bad rear wheel bearings cause a slight vibration in steering wheel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can bad rear wheel bearings cause a slight vibration in steering wheel?

samert1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
2008 Explorer 4WD. Have a slight vibration in steering wheel that gets real noticeable at 60 MPH.

Everything in the front end has been changed, not chasing this issue but because it all needed replacing. Fronf Diff, both front hub assys, both CV axle assys, new tires all around.

I know rear wheel bearings are going bad but I'm having a hard time believing they can cause the steering wheel vibration.

Even with the front driveshaft off the vibration is still there.

So what say you all?

Swap the front tires to the rear and see if the vibration changes or goes away. If it does, then the new tires are not balanced correctly. On another note, never heard of bad wheel bearings causing a vibration without messing with the ABS/wheel speed sensor system.

Had the problem with the old tires. Swapped them around like you said and same problem. it's not tire related or engine RPM related. In neutral at 60 its still there.

I can hear the whine coming from the rear bearings. Just not bad enough to cause ABS issues yet.

Back