• Register Today It's free!

Can I add a 3rd row?

1996ex

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0 XLT 4WD
I'm looking at a 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition and it has everything I want EXCEPT the third row. Could't I add that fairly simply if I find a set of third row seats, seat belts, and the rear floor panels at a salvage yard? And maybe I'd need the matching second row, too, because it has the exit/entry features?

Any thoughts? I live near a few good you-pull yards and I think I could find these parts over a few months.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I took mine out with nothing but bolts, I expect you can install one with nothing but bolts. Look for the nuts attached to the floor. If the nuts are there I don't expect any problems.

If I took mine out with nothing but bolts, I expect you can install one with nothing but bolts. Look for the nuts attached to the floor. If the nuts are there I don't expect any problems.
As far as I know, you need panels that are specifically made for the 3rd row, like mounting panels that would take the place of the two hidden storage areas.

Just go to a wrecking yard and find a donor. Everything attached to the 2nd and 3rd row, take. Seat belt bolts, seat to floor stud/bolts. The tricky part is getting out the plastic floor locks for the third row lower seat. Bring a hammer and a cold chisel to pound the floor to get them out. May need to try a couple cars to get one without breaking them.

Second row lower seat belt bolts need to come out, want to say they take a T45 torx. This will allow for the rear quarter panels to be popped off. Seams like they were in the way.

Going to keep the 2nd row bench or put in captains chairs? Makes a difference on the carpet. Either way, grab the 3rd row carpet piece too.

Take pictures. It's an easy project and kind of fun. Enjoy your current cargo space? How flat it is? Won't be flat anymore.

Take every nut and bolt. Connect everything that can be connected before you pay.

The bolt holes are all there, just covered in foil tape. Start the studs in the ones you need (like rear seat belt upper mounts) and they'll create their own threads.

Well my XLS base has all those empty spots for features that you could get, such as the black buttons for the message center or the 4WD control. So with that, I can only assume that since those features are not there, that if I wanted to add them, then there would be room for them.

Based on what I've observed on my 2002 that I plan to add 3rd row to: The rear seat points have a pseudo-nut-plate in place, and then the rear seats are installed with thread-rolling bolts. Basically if you look under your truck, you'll see what look like big fat washers, not nuts. The sheet metal will need to be drilled out (do this from the exterior so you don't miss) There are a couple extra spots for 2nd-row bolts, as well as the seatbelt anchors.

Well my XLS base has all those empty spots for features that you could get, such as the black buttons for the message center or the 4WD control. So with that, I can only assume that since those features are not there, that if I wanted to add them, then there would be room for them.
To a certain extent, yes.

Some features are just as simple as installing the components - if you want heated mirrors, just plug them in and they will work with the rear defroster button.

Some features were stand-alone modules. The Keyless entry for instance, there's no harness at all for it in trucks that didn't come from the factory. you've got to install the modules, run the harnesses, a

Based on what I've observed on my 2002 that I plan to add 3rd row to: The rear seat points have a pseudo-nut-plate in place, and then the rear seats are installed with thread-rolling bolts. Basically if you look under your truck, you'll see what look like big fat washers, not nuts. The sheet metal will need to be drilled out (do this from the exterior so you don't miss) There are a couple extra spots for 2nd-row bolts, as well as the seatbelt anchors.

Nothing needs drilled out for adding the third row.

Back