Can you put a 2016 radio panel into a 2014 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you put a 2016 radio panel into a 2014 PIU

MatthewD

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PUI
New to the forums here. I sure have been appreciating everyone sharing their knowledge with us PIU greenhorns.

I recently purchased a 2014 PIU, it has a stock 4" screen radio panel with aux, and usb. It happens that I have a 8" 2016 radio panel. The connectors on the back are different. Both are six pin, but the 2014 is rectangular, and the 2016 square. Does anyone know if I can make this work with an adapter or something? The 2016 also has Ford My Sync2. Can I make that work, or should I start working on a different plan?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Matthew.:wave:
I don't know if it is possible to do or not but If you replace the panel surrounding a 4" screen with one for an 8", aren't you going to have a large gap around the screen? I'm not totally familiar with the 4" setup.

Peter

Thanks Peter glad to be here! The 2016 panel came with the 8" my ford sync computer and screen. I will have get rid of the 4", and figure out how the 8" mounts. Most likely there will be more wiring issues there also... I will tear it apart this afternoon and start troubleshooting.

It seems to me that there is a video here somewhere about this.

At this point no you cant use the new control panel. The wires are all there and can be repined from the 5 to the 6 pin but only the Audio controls will work. HVAC does not appear to work. If you do get it working though please share!

At this point no you cant use the new control panel. The wires are all there and can be repined from the 5 to the 6 pin but only the Audio controls will work. HVAC does not appear to work. If you do get it working though please share!
If you are replying to the OP, he hasn't been seen here since Feb. 17, 2018. Otherwise, it is useful info for anyone else. :)

Peter

If you are replying to the OP, he hasn't been seen here since Feb. 17, 2018. Otherwise, it is useful info for anyone else. :)

Peter
Yea the recent post suggestions got me. Oh well.

Back