can't find the part # for my flywheel bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can't find the part # for my flywheel bolts

Lacky01

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
I ruined two of my flywheel bolts getting the flywheel off! I went to the salvage yard and nearly all of the trucks had different bolts than mine does. The one truck that had the same bolts I was unable to retrieve them due to rust and an incorrect socket. I have a 98 with the OHV and 5-speed. the bolt pattern on my flywheel is 8 bolts, while the pattern on every other truck was 6 bolt. I believe the six bolt pattern is the flex plate on the automatic explorers.
I called the stealership to order them, but he only had a part # for a set of six. He was unable to tell me what kind of head the bolt has or anything. the ones I need have an external Torx head. (12mm?) the ones on the autos were a shallow hex head.

I emailed fastpartsnetwork and they gave me the same answer: "I can get them $ 3.99 each sold in QTY6 Plus freight". I'm waiting for them to reply with their part #.

does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just measure the old bolts and order some new ones from a fastener supply or industrial supply company? Probably a heck of a lot cheaper that way too. And you could order 12 points instead of e-torx. But personally I just hate torx fasteners.

There is one of those fastener supply places in Salem I'll have to try.

I got a reply from fast parts network and they gave me the part # for what they were gonna sell me:

according to this:
auto or man Flywheel/Flexplate to SOHC Crankshaft Bolts (need 8).........................................F77Z-6379-AC
Flywheel to Crankshaft Bolts for OHV (need 6) (I'm unsure if the OHV is different here) ...............E69Z-6379-A

I'm gonna check out the F77Z number... might be what I'm looking for

I went ahead and ordered both sets of bolts. I am thinking the SOHC ones are what I need considering they come in a set of 8. I ordered 8 of the OHV ones too just in case I'm wrong. unfortunately neither sets are returnable considering they are special order. kinda pissed me off :^/

I tried the only nut/bolt supply place in Salem but they only do industrial applications.

I'll have a definitive answer next weekend...

Well the "F77Z-6379-AC"s intended for the SOHC were the correct bolts for my truck. :dunno:

I'll sell the other set on Ebay.

The correct socket for working those bolts was a 12mm Star. I bought a set of star flavored torque wrench sockets at Harbor Freight for 8.99

Do you know what size and thread they were

Back