Can't seperate knuckle from lower ball joint stud | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't seperate knuckle from lower ball joint stud

Gixxer1000

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver , B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hi guys,

I'm replacing my lower ball joints using this forum's sticky instructions. I have a problem with seperating the knuckle from the lower ball joint stud. It's just hanging. How do I get the knuckle off the stud? I tried prying and PB Blaster. I understand there is a taper that needs to be broken. Do I need a pickle fork? If I need to hammer can someone draw an arrow indicating where to whack?

lbjstud.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just barely thread the castle nut back on, just to keep the knuckle from dropping off onto the floor. Remove your CV axle. Then hit the knuckle (not the lower A-arm) as hard as you can with a BFH. I circled where in red.
picture.php

Agree with my pos. Worst case is a pickle fork, but my pos' idea should work.

Just did mine a few hours ago, actually all the balljoints. Smack it in the area outlined by pos. I loosend all three castlenuts to the ends (not off) and whacked on various metal sourrounding the tapered studs with the whole assembly intact. The idea is shock it and momentarily deform the hole. All mine came out quite easily. Now the lower balljoint itself I had to pound with all my might for about an hour to remove from the control arm....press was a no-go due to the shape of the control arm and the size of the OE balljoint.

BK

I had the same issue when I did my ball joints a couple years back. I wacked on the knuckle with a hammer until my arm was dead. Then I got smart and rented a pickle fork from Autozone (free) and hammered it between the knuckle and A-arm and pried down. It popped free instantly. Get the pickle fork.

Thanks guys, I went out and got a pickle fork.

Ball Joint 411

Going to be changing both my lower and upper ball joints on my 96 Explorer 4 wheel drive. For the lower ball joints, do I need to remove the brake drums, etc to pop out the ball joints or have you guys been able to use just a pickle fork/ pry bar to remove the lower ball joints?

I had the same issue when I did my ball joints a couple years back. I wacked on the knuckle with a hammer until my arm was dead. Then I got smart and rented a pickle fork from Autozone (free) and hammered it between the knuckle and A-arm and pried down. It popped free instantly. Get the pickle fork.

For your lower ball joints, remove the brakes, discs & rotors.. If you can find or rent a balljoint tool, I highly recommend it. Harbor freight has one like $30 right now. basically use that to press the old one out and the new one in.. It'll make the job quick and easy.

You mean a ball joint press, right? I plan on renting one and also have a pickle fork... Just seems like taking the brakes, discs, rotors off might be more work/parts that are rusted together to try prying apart... That's why I asked if I can just use a pickle fork to try prying the ball joint out.

For your lower ball joints, remove the brakes, discs & rotors.. If you can find or rent a balljoint tool, I highly recommend it. Harbor freight has one like $30 right now. basically use that to press the old one out and the new one in.. It'll make the job quick and easy.

Back