can't shift into 4x4 low

Douglasmorton

Reaction score
City, State
Damariscotta, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger 4x4
Hi, all,

Help, pleeeease.. I just bought a 2000 Ranger. I really like it! the only real problem I'm having is I can't get it to go into 4 wheel low. 4 wheel Hi works good, I hear the relay click and get the light, but when I switch to 4 wheel low, nothing happens... no click, no light, nothing. Most of the stuff I've found on line talks about blinking 4x4 HI and 4x4 LOW lights when the key is first turned on. Mine are steady. Does anyone have any idea as to how to start troubleshooting this?:rangergreen:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you shift to neutral than wait for the light to come on and it to engage ?

it's a process that you have to follow every time

Must be in 4hi.

Must be stopped.

Must be in neutral.

Must have foot on brake.

Like corkey said but wordy.

I've tried the procedural many times, but nothing happens. For you guy who can shift into 4 low, can you tell me what happens, step by step? Once stopped, in neutral and foot on break, when you move the switch to the 4 low position, do you hear a click right away, like when you first switch to the 4 Hi position? how long does it take before the 4 Low light comes on? any other sounds to listen for? Does it kick in before or after the 4 Low light comes on? Thanks to all who replied.

2008 Explorer will not shift into 4 Low

I recently purchased a low mileage 2008 XLT. Problem is it will shift into 4 High but when trying to shift into 4 Low the light blinks, tells me to shift into neutral (which I did, and foot on brake) but refuses to go into 4 low.

I did try replacing the Transfer case shift motor but still experience the same problem. I can hear the control module clicking when calling for the shift, but it tries for 10 or so seconds and then quits.

I am not getting any codes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back