car computer systems

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Hi all, my name is Trent Lawson and I just graduated from Indiana University with a degree in computer science. I'm considering the idea of starting my own buisness building custom and easily integrated car computer systems. My question for you guys is simple, would you be interesed (not selling anything right now), and what would you like to have? The computers would probably use mini ATX boards, custom aluminum casses (most likely powder coated with a logo cut out and illuminated from behind, most likely it'll look very much like a nice amp), touch screen display for very easy use, and would be build so you could easily integrate them into your existing system without having to redo the whole thing. They would basically allow you to combine all your audio, video, diagonistics, and tunning (when possible) into one easy package. They will use commercial software so I will have time to design, write, and test my own software but the main goal of whatever software I use will be ease of use so you won't have to learn much if anything at all in order to use your system.

Like I said i'm not selling these i'm looking for your input as active auto and stereo system enthusiasts.

Thank you for your time and input.
Trent Lawson
aka CodePoet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have much input, but I've also been thinking about putting a computer in my X. I wanted it so i could put all my mp3's on it, play dvds, and maybe some small games. It could even be my own organizer for my car. But im not to sure how to start it, so Ive never really tried. But I would definitely be interested.

It sounds like you're trying to create an aftermarket version of BMW's iDrive or Mercedes' COMMAND systems. Interesting idea, sounds expensive as heck to me, but good luck to you.

Seeing the amount of money that people are putting into stereo systems and their cars in general these days, I see this being a viable industry.

I suggest you look into using the really small Via Epia boards/cpus, I believe that are Mini-ITX format and you could use laptop drives to reduce size as well. Power wise they are pretty weak, but you don't need much to play music and see diagnostics. Should play DVDs and stuff pretty well too.

Isn't there something like this already?

I remember seeing some sort of on-board computer called Compusoft or something on MTVs "Pimp My Ride". Maybe Comsoft. anyway, I think there's already a market player with a product. More research into that could yield some scalability/versatility answers......
You'd have to buy off-brand (Audiovox, Phillips) screens b/c the high-end stuff is proprietary, right? Are you looking to creata a top to bottom package for teh retail side? To eventually be sold at Best Buy?
Karl

Wow, it's awsome to see so many great suggestions! I'll try and answer everybody. There's still a GREAT deal of planning to do with this product so some things will of course be up in the air.

Kidwezest: This is exactly what the first stage of my kit will be, a easy to instal and use computer that will allow you to dowload from you pc mp3's and play DVD's, i'll probably put it together so that youcan rip directly at the car computer, but the idea of a removable drive that you could take to your desktop and download onto might also be a future option. Since it will still be a computer you will be able to play games using a joystick or other controller. I'm not sure now if I'll keep the touch screen idea, it might add a bit of cost so the first encarnation very well might have a laptop style touch pad that you can mount whereever you want. The idea of a car organizer is very cool, that could very easily be installed.

Jayhawkexplorer: I understand your thought, and it's spured the idea to offer the kit in stages. For instance STAGE1 would be the computer, screen, touchpad, and the hardware to integrate it into you audio/video systems (videos will also be able to play through screen). STAGE2 would include maybe diagnostics, and tuning when avaliable. STAGE3 might include GPS and lighting control. Or some combination of those :). That way if someone wanted one but couldn't afford the "delux" package they could start small and build it up. The STAGE1 kit most likely won't be too far off that of a good custom desktop.

funnyperson1: Thank you for your suggestion. I will deffinitly look into the Mini-ITX and laptop drives. Laptop drives might be a really good idea since they are designed for use in a maching that moves around alot, gets jostled etc. I'm going to look into what you suggested :). I think that this isn't too prevalent yet is because there aren't alot of companies out there building these like there are other audio/visual systems. I really think this is where the future of car entertainment is going!

karl_burns: Your probably right, it's not a new idea but I think it's an under utilized idea since alot of people are scared of building a computer, i'm sure there's a company out there doing this. The high end stuff is surely proprietary so I'll have to work around that problem, much research is still needed. I am looking to create a top to bottom package for the retail side, something that anyone can put in their car in a weekend. I would like to find a easy plug and play type harness so you could easily integreate it into your factory system. Those with high end stuff would require other hardware.

Like I said it's still in the idea phase but I think it's possible. Alot of work is needed to figure out what products are out there already and we'll be basing everything off that at least to start with. Thank you all for your great comments and criticisms, without talking to my prospective customers i'd never know for sure what you want. Keep the good ideas comming!!

Thank you,
Trent Lawson

Forgot to mention in my first post, check out this site: http://www.mini-itx.com/ it basically shows the different types of projects people have been doing with these boards and cpus from Via. Everything from Teddy bear computers to NES computers to alarm clock computers. Really really cool stuff.

A cheaper alternative might also be to integrate Shuttle's SFF Mini PC's into a car's system.

Check out this LCD, http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=9#p3101 don't know about the quality but it should plug right into a vga port.

Their store also has lots of cool little adapters for using laptop parts in a desktop.

Hey thanks! I love those little NES computers, wanted to build one for my fiance :D. I'm going to have to take a look a all that!

Thanks!
Trent Lawson

I've also have been looking into doing this. seems like everything will be somewhat easy to do in this world of wireless stuff. The only real problem I'm having right now is trying to find a DC-DC power supply. Hey, if you come out with something good, maybe I'll just skip the hassle and buy one from you!! :p

Id def look into one if the price was right and the computer itself wasnt too big. Always looking for something to upgrade my audio!

Very cool idea, there are a lot of ameteur versions out there and it would be nice to see something commerically availible and integrated. Here are some suggestions and concerns I have, and things for you to think about.

1) Ease of use while driving. Ergonomics is king here, and will take the most design time, R/D, and cleverness. Here is where a large touchscreen would be benificial, as well as a custom interface that is NOT windows/mouse based. If this computer is truly the control center for Audio, etc then changing the volume, radio presets, selecting navigation options, needs to be able to be done with one hand (while the other remains on the wheel) and without looking at the display for too long. While I don't mind the tiny buttons on my headunit most of the time, my Dad wonder's how I can stand them (he'd NEVER get a unit like that).

2) Ease of installation. People with fiberglass skills and no fear of cutting their interior can install a 10" touchscreen into the dash of anything. What about users who can install a head unit and run wires, but want everything else to bolt into their factory dash? What about people who want an integrated look for security, saftey, etc? No doubt a system like this would be a theft target.

3) Expansion options. How will it interface with Audio, Video? What about GPS and navigation, what about OBD-2 engine interfacing? These are some things that will really set it apart from just a quality Alpine or Pioneer in-dash DVD player with an Ipod attached.

4) Here's a big one: Boot-up/shutdown time. When the car is turned on, will the computer take 4 minutes to boot up? What about shutdown, will it be automatic? What about turing the car on for a short time to make a quick errand (and wanting audio)? Your system has to be instant on/off - like my Ipod/Pioneer headunit combo.

5) How will it deal with DRM copy protected music files?

6) What sort of warranty/service will your company provide for it? Upgardes and failures?

If its going to SELL, it needs to be seemless, integrated, easy to use, full-featured and priced for its audience. I personally do not think a windows-based machine is what people would want to control A/V in their vehicles. I set up an old computer next to my TV to stream music and the WindowsXP/Wireless keyboard is a pretty painfull interface for this application. I can only image how much worse it would be in a vehicle. Its too slow, too cumbersome, and does way more than you need it too, and what you want to do poorly.

Recently, I have been somewhat interested in these in-car computer systems. You definitely have some great ideas, but you should also be aware that these sort of systems are already being built. If you head over to the forums at http://www.mp3car.com, I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information. I believe the biggest hurlde with this sort of project would be software related. As somebody already mentioned, the VIA EPIA boards are perfect for this sort of situation. If you look around on the mp3car.com forums, you'll soon find out that all the hardware is readily available, including DC-DC power supplies with built in startup controllers, shutdown controllers, and engine crank survivers. Since it looks like you would be looking to sell pre-built and ready-to-go systems, I'm assuming your target customers will not necessarily be too computer literate. Because of this, whatever software you design will need to be fairly user friendly. These are just a few of things that I would be concerned about if I were considering a business of this sort. If you have any questions just let me know. Also, be aware that you would possibly be in direct competition with the newly released Pioneer AVIC-N1 (http://www.avic-n1.com).

Check out www.mp3car.com . Build your own. I've done two installs in both of my cars and its alot more bang for your buc. Plus there is some open source commercial software out their that gets better every month. Commercial solutions suck.....

Back