Careful with NGK Spark Plug Numbers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Careful with NGK Spark Plug Numbers

Stomper

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4.0L SOHC
YO,

I've read lots of threads lately regarding spark plugs, applications, brand preferences, part numbers, etc.

Well I just came across this site called (dead links) that has some good resources and tools. If you go to the link under 'BROWSE', you'll find one called 'Cross Ref. Catalog' and here's the link:

(dead links)

From this chart, you can choose to cross reference between Motorcraft part numbers and NGK....and A/C Delco, Autolite, Bosch, Champion, and Denso.

Key: C = copper
GP = platinum
IX = iridium

For V6er's:

Year Motorcraft P/N NGK P/N
91-92 STD AWSF42C TR4 or TR4GP
93-96 Plat AWSF42PP TR5GP or TR5IX
97-00 Plat AWSF22PP TR5GP or TR5IX

For V8er's:

96-00 Plat AWSF32EE TR5GP or TR5IX

Double checking these numbers against the part numbers on (dead links), it appears that NGK has updated things and doubled the number digit in the P/N. So now it would read TR55C, or TR55GP, or TR55IX.

If anyone finds any errors, PLEASE let me know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Stomper
YO,

I've read lots of threads lately regarding spark plugs, applications, brand preferences, part numbers, etc.
(dead links)

From this chart, you can choose to cross reference between Motorcraft part numbers and NGK....and A/C Delco, Autolite, Bosch, Champion, and Denso.

Key: C = copper
GP = platinum
IX = iridium

For V6er's:

Year Motorcraft P/N NGK P/N
91-92 STD AWSF42C TR4 or TR4GP
93-96 Plat AWSF42PP TR5GP or TR5IX
97-00 Plat AWSF22PP TR5GP or TR5IX

For V8er's:

96-00 Plat AWSF32EE TR5GP or TR5IX

Double checking these numbers against the part numbers on (dead links) it appears that NGK has updated things and doubled the number digit in the P/N. So now it would read TR55C, or TR55GP, or TR55IX.

You are close but not quite. The second number in TR55 is for the gap. A TR5 plug has a gap of 1 mm (.039") while a TR55 plug has a gap of 1.5 mm(.059") and a TR50 would have a gap of 2 mm (.078"). There is no difference between the plugs except the gap.

Follow this link http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411.asp and click on the link at the bottom left hand side under the heading:

"Manufacturer's Numbering System"
NGK

This will give you the full chart explaining how the part numbers break down.

Kick@ss......thanks for the help Paul!! :thumbsup:

So what you're saying is that I can use the TR5 plugs that I bought for my 2.9 Ranger (never ended up installing them though), and just regap them to the sploder's specs?

Thanks

I know this thread is a little old, but I was looking into the Iridiums and on NGK's site they actually dont list an application for the X. Has anyone actually installed these in their truck? If so, were they the TR5IX?? Thanks.

Slightly off topic but I hate Advance Auto....

The OEM plugs in my jetski are NGK's and the only part number on the plug was B9ES. Advance claimed they didn't have them. After going home and doing some research I found the numerical part number, 4911 or something like that. Suprise, they had those, even though it clearly states 4911 and B9ES on the box :rolleyes:

Well...I bought some of the Iridiums. I will update on the install.

Yea man, let us know what you think of those Iridiums.....Thx!

Back