Carfax question on a possible new purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carfax question on a possible new purchase

LPcreation

Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA
Hi,

I'm looking at a 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I ran the carfax report on it and it came back pretty clean but there was 1 thing I'm hoping someone can give me more information on.

It says:
Service Contract Issued (by Service Plan Co.)

I googled it and I think all it is, is an extended warranty but I'm not sure.

Anyone out there more familiar with Carfax and their terminology or this description?

Thanks!

Anyone have anything bad to say about the '04 Eddie Bauers? Mileage is around 75k.

I don't believe Carfax is that accurate.. Service contract may have been a extended warranty as a result of some prior issues. Best thing to do is to look at the same vehicle during the day & night and also have a mechanic go over it. Especially checking the undercarriage, floorboards for dampness, etc..

I'm not 100% confident in carfax either. I owned two cars, one of which was in an accident. I went to sell the one that was NOT in an accident, and the potential buyers ran a carfax on it and found that it was listed as having been in an accident. I also realized that the accident listed in the carfax report was the same date on which the other car had been in an accident. Apparently carfax had mixed the two vehicles up and assigned the accident to the wrong vehicle!

all good about EB 04

I have an Eddie B 04, 4x4, owned since 04, current milage 50k km
or 30k miles. Have changed the transmission oil 3 years at 15k miles,
just to be sure - no issues.
Repairs so far - alternator at 3 years & a/c line to rear outlet (leaking),
minor issue with stalling under cruise control, in year 1, was fixed, no problem
since
Thats it. Gas milage could be better, avg is 15mpg for one year.
About 20 when its warm and 13 in winter - city stop and go. Hywy 23-24.
Now 6 years old, looks and drives like new.
Lower ball joints and brake pads maybe rotors are due to be changed soon,
that would be a major cost at about $1000.
good luck with your selection.

Back