• Register Today It's free!

Changed Plugs and Wires

mowfixer

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
I notice many tuneup threads relate to SOHC engines. I just did my OHV 4.0L V6 in my 99 Sport and although it was a pain in the neck it was nowhere as difficult as it must be on SOHC motors.

The entire process only took me 2 hours and much of that time was spent trying to run the new wires under the upper intake manifold. I discovered after trial and error to use a coat hanger and route it where you want the wire to go under the manifold and tape the wire to this coat hanger and pull it through. DUH!

My explorer was starting hard and had obvious miss at an idle though no codes. I discovered that the plugs had been changed once by the previous owner and they had neglected to set the gap. They were gapped at .040 instead of .054. This added to some bad wires was the cause of my problems.

Now my machine runs smooth and starts easy and I can feel an increase in power and a difference in the sound of the engine when accelerating.

My point of this post is to encourage any OHV mother owners to tackle this project and don't get scared off by the SOHC posts that make it sound like a nightmare. No need to remove tires or access anything through the wheel wells. This is an easy job from above! So have at it and see a big improvement
in your engine performance.

By the way I used Autolite ap103 platinum plugs and Autolite Professional plug wires. The wires were high quality (8mm) and have a lifetime warranty. Be sure to check the gaps as out of the box these plugs are gapped at .040-.045.

Thanks

I am getting ready to do mine too. I read posts that made me think I could not do it myself. Got a quote of $350.00 to do plugs and wires. WOW!

I will now give it a try myself.

Don't mean to bring up an old thread but im getting ready to do this on my finance' 98 4.0 using motorcraft plugs & autolite wires I got from my work advance auto parts.

Never done anything but an import engine tune up so this is probably going to be a challenge for me lol. But i'll try it out tomorrow. Any tips or DIYs on this site.. As im new.

I did my plugs last summer, everyone said it was hard, only took a hr or so, did it through the fender, not bad, I have the SOHC.

Back