Changing Cigarette Lighter to go off with key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Cigarette Lighter to go off with key

1000fc

Reaction score
City, State
Southwest CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Instead of installing a new cigarette lighter under the dash, could I just cut the power wire going to one of the cigarette lighters already in place and splice it's red wire with the power lead of the radio?

As a side note, this would be to power a bluetooth receiver, would I be overloading the fuse for the Radio by doing that you think?

Thanks so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instead of installing a new cigarette lighter under the dash, could I just cut the power wire going to one of the cigarette lighters already in place and splice it's red wire with the power lead of the radio?

As a side note, this would be to power a bluetooth receiver, would I be overloading the fuse for the Radio by doing that you think?

Thanks so much!

Sounds like a reasonable plan; should not be a problem WRT overloading fuse. Most such devices draw very little current - check the spec sheet for the bluetooth unit. Good luck.

I doubt a bluetooth receiver would over amp the radio fuse but if that is a concern, consider adding a relay.

Have the relay's coil powered by the radio circuit, and have the relay switch the power for the cigar lighter circuit.

Would be very easy to install and eliminate any concerns about the radio power circuit.

Sorry for the delay guys. I ended up tapping into the radio power lead and i'm good to go. The only issue I ran into was not being able to remove the plastic housing from the cigarette lighter, so now i have a small hole where it was. Not a big deal for now!

I would have spliced the bluetooth power lead into the radio power lead.

Better late than never. It took me 3 months to find this after I bought my 1997 Explorer XLT. Maybe others are similar. There is a second cigarette lighter power supply that is hot all the time. Perfect for charging phones, etc. Look on the passenger side of the console you will see a little access door. Under it is a power point.
I'm amazed at my new discovery, lol. :)

Better late than never. It took me 3 months to find this after I bought my 1997 Explorer XLT. Maybe others are similar. There is a second cigarette lighter power supply that is hot all the time. Perfect for charging phones, etc. Look on the passenger side of the console you will see a little access door. Under it is a power point.
I'm amazed at my new discovery, lol. :)

It will also deliver more power.

My inverter wouldn't run off the cig lighter but it will run off the accessory one.

Swap the stereo. It's very easy on the Explorer. My vehicle does not have any steering wheel controls. The dash kit and wiring kit are included. I do not use CD's.

Crutchfield Media player

Back