Changing out some plugs to troubleshoot "vibrating" idle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing out some plugs to troubleshoot "vibrating" idle.

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
I've been trying to solve a problem with my 99 SOHC for the past few months. As I've posted before in the past, when it is in gear at a light, the engine has what I describe as cyclic resonation throughout the truck. Other than that the truck is flawless on the highway and normal driving. I have checked all vacuum lines and the IAC,MAF, ignition wires. One thing I long suspected was the spark plugs which I put in about a year ago, Autolites APP103 double platinums. From day one I noticed the idle was slightly "different".
Rather than go through the trouble of replacing all the plugs with Motorcrafts, I was thinking of buying just 2 or 3 plugs and replace the drivers side ( easiest side ) and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then I know I'm on the right track, and I'll buy and replace the passengers side. And if it doesn't, then I'm only out $15 since I probably can't return the plugs at Auto Zone. Any opinions?
Also how do I know if my ignition coil is good? I did test it with my ohmeter and it was in spec with the Haynes book, but does that mean the coil is good?

Did you replace the spark plug wires when you did the plugs?

Yes, forgot to mention that. I wish I would have done the plugs first then the wires, instead of the same time so I could tell what was the problem, but I would have to buy a new set of wires now to eliminate that as the problem, But I did a test of pulling each wire off the coil while the engine was running and each time yielded the same result, there was no abnormality found.

Back