Charging system issues

ClutchYara

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
06’ Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
2006 Explorer XL
A couple weeks ago I was driving home when the radio suddenly cut out and all my power slowly shut off, but the motor was still running. I got it home just before it stalled. I replaced the alternator and figured it wasn’t a big deal, until a couple days later. I was on my way home when the same thing happened again, except this time the end of the cable that goes to the battery from the alternator had melted away completely. So I replace the alternator again (thank god for warranty) and the cable end and go on my way. Then my battery kept dying so I would have to jump it every morning, so I started taking the negative cable off when I wasn’t driving and that fixed it for awhile. Then last night I lose all power once again, I make it home blah blah blah, I replaced the battery today and now there’s no draw and it starts good at 12.6 but when it’s running my volts stay just under 12. I know it should be around 14V. I’m completely out of ideas.

Attachments

• A8492F28-B733-42EE-8138-3E5ECB3A8F2B.jpeg
    A8492F28-B733-42EE-8138-3E5ECB3A8F2B.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 681E5ABB-5174-40F9-BFD7-08B75CA90C93.jpeg
    681E5ABB-5174-40F9-BFD7-08B75CA90C93.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 73

2006 Explorer XL
A couple weeks ago I was driving home when the radio suddenly cut out and all my power slowly shut off, but the motor was still running. I got it home just before it stalled. I replaced the alternator and figured it wasn’t a big deal, until a couple days later. I was on my way home when the same thing happened again, except this time the end of the cable that goes to the battery from the alternator had melted away completely. So I replace the alternator again (thank god for warranty) and the cable end and go on my way. Then my battery kept dying so I would have to jump it every morning, so I started taking the negative cable off when I wasn’t driving and that fixed it for awhile. Then last night I lose all power once again, I make it home blah blah blah, I replaced the battery today and now there’s no draw and it starts good at 12.6 but when it’s running my volts stay just under 12. I know it should be around 14V. I’m completely out of ideas.
Replace that entire fat cable running away from the alternator to the Engine Junction Box. The conductors in it look corroded away. That cable, if you don't know it, feeds ALL the power to the vehicle when the engine is running; the battery does nothing.

Back