• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light Codes

adam4207

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
My 96 Explorer has been having some rough idle and starting issues after the engine warms up and my check engine light is on. I went to auto zone today and had them pull the codes. It is reading these four codes:

PO 153
PO 420
PO 171
Po 174

I was hoping someone has had these codes and could tell me what to fix/replace to get my explorer running good again.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks to me like you may have a lean running engine. I'd start by checking the MAF sensor wires for contamination, then for a vacuum leak. I'd disregard the P0153 and P0420 for the time being and deal with the other 2 codes first.

What would you clean the wires with?

With electrical contact cleaner. The wires are inside the MAF sensor housing. Search for threads on MAF sensor cleaning, they should show you what to look for, and how the MAF sensor should look.

For cleaninr the MAF, take a look at Dead Link Removed

Good luck .....

Does anyone know where I can find some pictures of how I would go about cleaning the MAF sensor? It sounds pretty easy, but I'm just scared I'll screw it up worse.

Back