CHECK THIS OUT!! [Digital Info Center on Eddie Bauers and Limiteds] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHECK THIS OUT!! [Digital Info Center on Eddie Bauers and Limiteds]

DixieOnMyMind59

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
First of all, I did a search for info on this and found nothing for the 1995-2001 Explorers.

OK, I was reading about the "Instrument Cluster Diagnostics" (read this to know what im talking about) you can do on Ford vehicles with a digital odometer. I know my 1999 Explorer does not have a digital odometer but since its an Eddie Bauer, its does have the digital info center with lots of buttons on it, so I ran outside to my Explorer with my keys in hand. I tried turning the key while pressing every button and it started each time normally, then i remembered when i reset my homelink garage door opener, you had to hold down the last two button to reset it. So i held down the "RANGE" and "SYSTEM CHECK" buttons at the same time and turned the key, and this is what immediatly showed on the screen....
IMG_2468s.jpg

Then i cycled through the, i guess you could call, "menu", by pressing the "RESET" button and this is what it shows.....in order...
IMG_2469s.jpg

IMG_2470s.jpg

IMG_2471s.jpg

IMG_2472s.jpg

Now it goes into this and when you press the "STATUS" button, the number under "A/D" will cycle through numbers 0-7

IMG_2473s.jpg

IMG_2474s.jpg

Then i pressed the "RESET" button again and it shows this and by pressing the "STATUS" button, underneath "PORT" it cycles through the letters "A,B, & C)

IMG_2475s.jpg

IMG_2476s.jpg

Now im am posting this because i have absolutely no idea what i have just discovered and if anyone can explain some of this to me it would be AWESOME.....I really want a digital speedometer readout BTW....
THANKS,
Colton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NVM means non-volatile memory. It means that if the system loses power suddenly, it won't erase what it has stored in it's memory. I am going to guess that this is the backside of the system, where a technician can troubleshoot. There's also reference to port numbers and letters, which I would assume is where a tech could upload / download information.

Thats kind of lame....what could the "tach signal" mean? Im going to press more buttons right now to see if i can figure out more tricks...there has to be something really cool hidden in the system, right? ...better be

Please post if you find anything more, I'm going to try it with mine too.

[hijack, sorry] :) Well, I don't know, but you made me remember something that I've tried to fix for years. When changing my oil I randomly messed up while punching those buttons on my '99 Eddie Bauer to reset the oil change and lost a feature. When I first got it, when I first started it up, it would go through the "system check" before defaulting to whatever I usually kept the display at. Somehow I disabled that and it never goes through a system check at startup again. I wonder if anyone knows what buttons to punch for how long in what sequence to get it to do that again?

Who knows all the options that pressing those buttons in sequences will bring up....

i'm pretty sure that the 8 code numbers they are 8 binary digits from the m/c programme installed in the computer.

i will check it out for you and see what exactly happened.

Jefe said:
Maybe if you press a few more buttons you'll be able to play Pong on it. :D

ROFLOL!!!

Inspection and Verification

Verify the customer concern.
Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical and electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart Mechanical Electrical
Damaged message center indicator
Damaged message center switch module
Low engine coolant level
Low engine oil level
Low windshield washer fluid level
Blown central junction box (CJB) fuse(s):
Fuse 10 (7.5A)
Fuse 36 (7.5A)
Damaged wiring harness
Loose or corroded connector(s)
Circuitry open/shorted

If inspection reveals obvious concerns that can be readily identified, repair as required.
Carry out the Message Center On-Board Diagnostic Test as follows:
Press RANGE and SYSTEM CHECK simultaneously while turning the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position.
The following chart describes each test.

Message Center On-Board Diagnostic Test Test Description
ROM Level Displays the Read Only Memory (ROM) level of the message center. This is used when requesting assistance from the hotline.
NVM Level Displays the Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) level of the message center. This is used when requesting assistance from the hotline.
NVM Check Displays the Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) for accuracy. If the message is NVM OK, proceed to the next step. If the message is REPLACE M/C, remove the message center switch module and install a new message center.
Display Check Displays the same character in all 24 character positions. The initial character is all dots ON. Presses of the ENGLISH/METRIC switch sequence the display character through the entire character set. INSTALL a new message center indicator if the characters are not displayed correctly.
Tach Check Determines if a tach signal is being received by the message center. If the message is TACH SIGNAL OK, the tach signal is being retrieved. If the message is TACH SIGNAL ERROR, no tach signal is being received. The engine must be running to receive a tach signal. GO to pinpoint test F, to check signal circuit. INSTALL a new message center indicator if concern is not in circuit or powertrain control module.
A/D (Analog-to-Digital Channel) Displays the status of each of the analog inputs to the message center. Pressing the ENGLISH/METRIC switch sequences the A/D test forward, and the FUEL STATUS switch sequences the test backwards. See the A/D table for the analog voltage inputs associated with each test. This is used when requesting assistance from the hotline.
Digital Port Displays the status of each of the digital inputs to the message center. Presses of the ENGLISH/METRIC switch sequence the digital port tests forward. See the digital port tables for the digital inputs associated with each test. This is used when requesting assistance from the hotline.

There were two charts of Digital Port Tables, but the formatting gets all jumbled if I copy and paste. They list Part A and Port B and the BIT that can be toggled.
Press the RANGE switch to advance the message center indicator to the next test.
To abort the on-board diagnostic mode and return to normal operation, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
If the concern(s) remain(s) after the inspection, determine the symptom(s) and proceed to Symptom Chart.

Does that help?

-Joe

So thats it? Boring maintenece stuff? ...I really thought that I was on to something. The "A/D" part does sound interesting though because it basically says that it shows analog statistics, digitally. "Displays the status of each of the analog inputs to the message center."....EACH? Including maybe the tach or speedometer? Wonder if it can show my 'Analog' speedometer, digitally. So are there any more electronical "easter eggs" that can be discovered on Explorers?

Back