• Register Today It's free!

Checking OBD-II codes

taylor

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT V8
I have a '98 Explorer and I have that CEL going off again. I had it checked once at the store and it turned out to be O2 sensor. Replaced those and the light went out. Its back on after a month (~300 to 400mi a week).

I want to check what's causing the CEL to go off.

Do I need an OBD-II tester? Or is there another method to check the codes? Besides visiting a shop.

If I need an OBD-II tester, what kind do you recommend? I don't really need one with all the bells and whistles, yet I do want to make sure the tester doesn't mess around with the Ex.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OBDII systems need a special reader to read codes. Mine I think is an Actron unit, $140 at Autozone. It can't monitor sensors and stuff like that like the expensive units, it just reads and erases codes. The high-end units that can truly monitor the computer usually start at $1500 and go on up!

Attachments

• scanner.jpg
    scanner.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 269

Has the Actron been useful to you? Does it pick up all the codes? $140 is more in my budget than the EZ Link which is $250 or $350.

It does pick up all the codes, but it doesn't extrapolate like higher priced units. My mechanic's unit will read the code, read sensor inputs, and tell you exactly what's wrong ($5000). Mine only gives you the code, which is what the computer thinks is wrong. The OBD computer is much dumber than you think. It's great for reading and erasing codes though! I usually get at least a few codes thrown a month.

I have an Auterra OBD-II reader. It connects to a Palm Pilot or similar PDA. It will read and clear codes, has an in memory data base of code descriptions, hasa freeze frame read, which lists out specifics of engine when code popped. It also has list and graph functions for O2 sensor voltage, engine rpm, advance timing, etc..

I got it from Ebay new $170.

if you cant afford a tester then go to autozone and they will check you cel light for you for free.

i had to do it a jew days ago and found that the egr valve is reading out of range. the guy at autozone told me to try to clean it first before buying one (i thought that was cool instead of trying to say i need that now).

Back