Chip Problem

bburns

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 4 X 2 Sport 4.0L
Hi,

I put a Diablo chip into my 2001 Explorer 4.0L. Never had a check engine light on before. It has 30,000 miles. Right after adding the chip, the check engine came on. The engine ran fine. I took it to a reliable non-Ford shop that I trusted and they said,

It was code P1633-Keep alive power voltage too low
PCM has experienced an internal memory failture.

My mechanic said it was a "hard default" and they could not reset it.

Diablo says they didn't cause it, but I beg to differ.

I had taken the chip out, unplugged the battery for 12 hours, and the check engine light now stays on even without the Diablo chip in the ECM.

I have it at the Ford dealership now (with the Diablo chip back in) to see if they can get the engine light reset with the chip intact. If that doesn't work, I will take it out to get the damn light to go out.

If that is the case, I would like to get any recommendations for a company that sells a performance computer program so I can set the parameters myself (no chip; just a computer program I can reset the stock computer numbers). I already called Superchip and Hypertech and they only sell only ECM enhancers for '98 Explorers that have the 4.0L. No other years. Any other companies that you can recommend?

Thanks,

Brian Burns

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about a flasher? I bought one from Apten, but have yet installed the programs. By the way, welcome to the site.

Thanks BBQ

Yes, I'm talking about a flasher. I found that Superchips is coming out in June for the 4.0L V-6, but I don't want to wait. Is there a website for Apten?

You can email me at Bburns727@bluefeathercoaching.com

Thanks,
Brian

superchips already has one for 4.0. i have one. only problem is in reverse, it kind of stumbles and tries to die if i give it to much gas.

Back