chirping when engine cold, new belts fix for short time only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chirping when engine cold, new belts fix for short time only

dprats2

Reaction score
City, State
washington, dc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
Hi everyone. I have been chasing down a chirping from the pulley area of my 02, v6 XLT, with appx. 115K miles Cold and damp weather seem to make it worse, but the chirping disappears once the engine warms up. The chirping sounds louder when I accelerate and let off the gas and changes tempo with the engine. Turning the steering wheel does not change noise.

I have replaced the belt, numerous times, with different brands. This usually makes it go away for a short period, but it always returns. Replaced the Idler Pulley. Replaced the Tensioner pulley. Belt tension seems fine, not much give. I noticed some wear on the front edge of the belt. I have taken the belt off and turned each pulley (Except the engine pulley) without hearing any noise. The engine pulley looks like it is fine, not migrating off of the rubber or anything, looks to be in original position. No coolant loss, oil pressure fine, electrical fine.

The chirping seems to be louder under the engine, than from above. Pretty sure it is from the front, checked to see if it was in the rear of the engine compartment, but seems to be from the front-bottom of the engine.

My guesses are: Water pump, Main drive pulley(Harmonic balancer?)... or something worse? On a budget, so trying to keep it cheap... Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had sort of the same problem with my 04. The alternator bearings was going bad (still getting good charge). Changed it and no more noise. The sound sounded like it was from the bottom too but I guess it wasn't.

What about A/C?, I'm not sure but i thought there might be a tsb on it. . .
out of all the belts did you try a goodyear gatorback? helped mine.

Could also be belt tensioner..if is fluttering up and down while running it is worn out..very common...also the idler pulley may be worn..also common...really with 115k miles..the tensioner is probably bad anyway...

Well: Here's my similar experience. '02 Eddie Bauer w/4.0 - started at 80,000 miles - when Winter arrived, my serpentine belt would also start squealing - first took it to the stealer thinking it WAS something serious - dealer just replaced belt and the noise was gone - the next Winter, same thing. Well, twice was enough for me. The belt was "glazing" - From that point on, I "alternated" (pun intended) between the 2 belts - and against some people's opinion, I would give each belt a small, quick shot of brake cleaner right when I put it on. Now at 130,000 miles and they're both still working w/o squealing.

My 02 is doing the exact same thing. I initially replaced the tensioner pulley and put on a new belt. This fixed the issue for about a week and then the squealing came back. I cant imagine the tensioner went bad within a week. The initial tensioner was definitely bad as I could move the pulley by hand.

I also hear a noise when driving around 2800 rpm's that sounds like the pulley bouncing and the belt slipping. This also went for the week but now it is back.

also make sure your pulleys are clean. I had rubber build up on mine. ( Had the dealership do the leaking water pump at 25k miles( yes that is right) and it wasnt a good repair to say the least, and the belt got schreadded and rubber went everywhere. . SO i had to pick offf the rubber built up in the pulleys and my chirping went away).

good luck

Back