Clutch Squeaking...more noticeable than before | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Squeaking...more noticeable than before

Slick Rick

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL Sport
Ok, I own a 97 X with Manual Trans. The clutch has been sqeaking for quite some time ( X amount of years ). The clutch has less than 60k miles on it, and temperature (weather outside) seems to play a role in how loud the squeaking is. For example, when it's cold outside, the sqeaking doesn't seem to be as loud, but there seems to be a little bit more resistance on the peddle. When it is warm out, the squeaking seems to be a little more dominant, however the peddle does not seem to have as much drag... at least it seems that way for those two points that I just made. Furthermore, it seems that after long periods of driving, it takes more effort to engage the clutch.

I have my X to a good tranny shop, and they're uncertain what the problem maybe. The technition lubricated the lubrication points on the clutch with no improvement. He said that he could take out the tranny and lubricate all the parts if I wanted, but that was totally out of the question.

I have since changed the trans fluid with no improvement. My clutch resivoir is full, and does not have any leeks in the system what so ever. One thing is for sure: the squeaking is becoming more noticeable.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject ? Does anyone have/had the same problem as I do? Thanx.

Back