• Register Today It's free!

Coil Upgrades

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Looking to do a tune up on the Explorer and wondering if something like the Screamin Deamon coil upgrade is worth the extra money? Otherwise Rock Auto has one they list as an upgrade for a little less. I thought I read the factory coil was about as good as one could hope for, but it seems to me there should be some way to improve on it.

Also, what plugs and wires should I go with? I was thinking the NGK wires and either NGK platinums or Autolite platinums. Are any of the double plats worth it or do you reach a point of diminishing returns?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot of people like the double plats here. Autolotes are ok. I prefer the OE fine wire Motorcrafts myself. But it's a matter of opinion, really. As long as the gap is .54 and you go with platinum, you should be ok. Don't use E3's. Stick with NGK, Autolite, or Motorcraft.:)

When I changed the plugs in my old 93' and my other Explorers, I always used Motorcraft plugs. The originals all lasted 100k miles.

Every ford I have ever owned always ran better with the oem platinum Motorcraft or comparable autolite plugs then any other "upgrade" plug. I tried the super expensive e3's and even those sucked, had a slight miss at high rpm, took them back and exchanged them for the stock motorcrafts, ran like new and pulled perfectly all the way to redline without a hickup.

Thanks guys. Anyone have any opinion on the coil pack?

Go double platinum or copper, no single-platinum. On this waste spark system, one bank will not benefit from platinum tipped center electrodes.

Personally, I'd only go NGK or Motorcraft and since it's harder to find the proper dual-plat Motorcraft, I went with NGK.

As far as the coil, I've had my eye on the Accel brand, part number 140035. If you look that up on RockAuto, there's a rebrand under the UltraPower name for $30 less than the Accel. Looks identical and even has the same part number.

That UltraPower was the one I was looking at, and was trying to tell the difference between the two. Good to know there isn't one. From what you know about it, do you think there would be any noticeable difference using it? I mean, I hate to waste money and have it not be any different than stock, but if the coil coupled with plugs, wires and one of the kkm or spectre cone filters/adapters would make some sort of noticeable difference, either in power or economy, then I don't mind spending the money.

You know as much as I do at this point. I've only studied the pictures and been tempted to buy one from RockAuto. I still might. My factory coil seems to be fine, tests in-spec. I can't wrap my head around a new coil performing any better than an old coil, given that they both work. I guess better manufacturing in 24 years but... is it worth it? I don't know if those reviews on Amazon are just placebo or if there really is a difference.

Probably still be a couple weeks before i get all the funds together, but I feel like I need to try, just for curiosity sake. I can't see it hurting anything.

That UltraPower was the one I was looking at, and was trying to tell the difference between the two. Good to know there isn't one. From what you know about it, do you think there would be any noticeable difference using it? I mean, I hate to waste money and have it not be any different than stock, but if the coil coupled with plugs, wires and one of the kkm or spectre cone filters/adapters would make some sort of noticeable difference, either in power or economy, then I don't mind spending the money.

Unfortunately, all that stuff will do squat. Until you upgrade the engine internals, the stock air intake, ignition, and exhaust are all more than adequate for the stock engine.

Also, for what it's worth; when I switched from copper Autolites to double-platinum NGKs, I noticed absolutely no difference. I did it more so that I don't have to think about them wearing and I also got them on a pretty good price. The coppers had already started rounding and wearing down after a couple thousand miles.

I will say though, if you're one that has the AC system still together, it might be wise to upgrade to double plats anyway, just so you don't have to fuss with the passenger side plugs.

The biggest improvement I saw by replacing parts would have to be getting refurbished injectors. Sometimes the engine starts so quick, I don't hear it cranking. It's instantaneously on. It doesn't start like that every time but overall, it's better for sure. I used to have problems with starting every time where I had to pump the gas while cranking to get it to reliably start on the first crank, otherwise it would die right after starting. That's only happened once I think since putting in new injectors. I'm currently testing MPG and will create a thread or post back about that.

New IAT sensor also helped starting quite a bit.

I have the DUI coil I think its worth it my motor been running the best its ever run. You also want to up grade your wires to if you go with any of those coils. I went with Moroso Mag-tune wires. Spark plugs I went with NGK Iridium IX. What they say about them is what I want out of my spark plugs. They cost more but heck not that much $6.99ea

NGK Iridium IX spark plugs are designed specifically for the performance enthusiast. Iridium IX spark plugs offer extreme ignitibility, improved throttle response and superior anti-fouling.

I've been running the screamin demon coil with live wires and some ngk laser cut double platinum(gapped to the specs for the new coil) for about a year and it's well worth the money imo. Probably a gain of like 5 or 10hp And alot less hesitatiom. You could probably get some cheaper plugs and wires and still get a decent improvement but I have a go hard or go home mentality when it comes to upgrading things. ;)

I definitely agree with you on that. Awhile back someone told me if you're not going to spend the money to do it right the first time, where are you going to get the money the second?

Right now I'm thinking NGK Iridium plugs, NGK wires, and the Rock Auto version of the Accel coil. I think I have a line on a non-AC heater box so I'm trying to amass a boatload of parts and spend a day making it awesome.

Definitely let us know what you think of the Accel coil :)

That's kinda weird that RA sells what looks like an Accel coil same trademark yellow like Accel. Accel being a big company been around a long time. The RA coil must be a Chinese knock-off. Is it as good, maybe. I rather buy the Genuine Super Coil from Accel. But Demon coil is 10K more volts then Accel for $5.00 more.

Ultra power appears to be a private label company, essentially putting stickers over the manufactures name/part numbers. A google search of ultra power shows where people have ordered ultra power and it's come in the actual manufacturers box with an "ultra power" sticker over the manufacturers part number. In this case it appears to be an Accel coil (same design, specs, and part number as the Accel) for about half the price.

As an aside, I recently ordered a Victor Reinz oil pan gasket from Rockauto. It arrived in Napa packaging? I can't say that I care, especially since after shipping it was still less than half the price Napa wanted for it. Just find it interesting how few parts manufacturers there are compared to how many brands are out there.

Now, all that said, further google searching appears that Accel coils don't have the best track record, and are not uncommon to fail within the first 5000 or so miles. So I may have to reconsider whether I really want an Accel coil, if I would be better off to spend the money on a Screamin Demon, or if I should just leave well enough alone and not change the coil at all.

Only scenario I can think of is surplus they must buy NOS surplus at a below wholesale cost to be able to sell name brands for halve the price.

Back