• Register Today It's free!

Collapsed lifter problem

sman83

Reaction score
City, State
Reno,NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
So I just took my 99 mountaineer, 186,x.. miles, to the shop to have the ticking sound looked at. They identified it as a collapsed lifter, when I asked about repairing the lifters, I was told it would better just to replace the engine due to the mileage and wear on the engine.

Any suggestions for the lifter? Any kind of treatment I can use?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's where I am too. Repairing the lifter means replacing it. That involves removing so much from the engine that makes it not worth.
I adjusted mine to have minimum noise and... live with it.

What engine do you have ? I thought I had a lifter problem on my 96 4.0 OHV. It isn't the lifters, it is worn rocker arms and pushrods.

What engine do you have ? I thought I had a lifter problem on my 96 4.0 OHV. It isn't the lifters, it is worn rocker arms and pushrods.

Rocker arms and pushrods are a much less in-depth repair. You only need to take off the UIM and valve cover to access them.

I did a write-up in the 1st gen section ages ago if you want to have a look.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307425

Hope this helps, not really a difference between a 1st gen OHV and a 2nd gen OHV.

I have the 5.0. I brought into a local shop to have a look at it. I know they smoke tested it for an exhaust leak. I doubt they took off the intakes. It could very well could be a rod or rocker problem. If that's the case great. I'm a plan for the worst and hope for the best kind of person.

I'm going to pull the intakes of regardless suppose I should make sure the parts are available locally. I'm going to clean the engine tomorrow before I start the work within the next couple weeks.

I wrote this on my iPhone sorry for any errors.

That's where I am too. Repairing the lifter means replacing it. That involves removing so much from the engine that makes it not worth.
I adjusted mine to have minimum noise and... live with it.

How did you adjust the lifters for minimum noise?

if that's the only problem you have, changing a lifter, and/or a rocker arm and push rod, isn't that big of a deal. the 5.0L V8 should easily be capable of another 100K if they've been reasonably well maintained. i have two V8's with over 180K on them, they are well maintained and i expect to get another 100K out of both of them with no problem.

you could try doing and oil change and substituting a quart of transmission fluid for a qt of engine oil. this might free up the lifter as trans fluid is a high detergent. this wont hurt anything and might save you a tear-down.

How did you adjust the lifters for minimum noise?
Look on youtube for movies... like this one:

Or...

If the lifter does not hold pressure (pump "up")... there will be a bigger gap to adjust for.

I have a 98 sport with a 4.0 sohc. It has a horrible lifter tick that disappears after about 5-10 minutes of driving. Then its totally silent. WTH is that? Im not super familiar with motor. Just bought the truck. I also own a 91 sport with the ohv 4.0. very familiar with that.

I have a 98 sport with a 4.0 sohc. It has a horrible lifter tick that disappears after about 5-10 minutes of driving. Then its totally silent. WTH is that? Im not super familiar with motor. Just bought the truck. I also own a 91 sport with the ohv 4.0. very familiar with that.

A bit late here, but I'd check the timing chain tensioners. When they are worn, they clatter at start up, until they pump up with oil. There are three of them, 2 on the front (relatively easy to get to), but the rear one requires pulling the motor, if I understand correctly.

Jaime

Back