Compatability of 91 Ranger and 94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Compatability of 91 Ranger and 94 Explorer

rocksteady

Reaction score
In my "Newbie" post, I stated that I had a 91 Ranger that had blown the 5 speed tranny.....Way too many $ to rebuild and replace for the value of the vehicle....

I may be able to get my hands on a 94 Explorer dirt cheap....

So here is my question:

The owner tells me the brakes (rotors, pads etc) are baked on the explorer...I just (2 months ago) did all of the brakes on the Ranger....

Does anyone know if these parts are all compatible???? It would be great if I could just park them side by side and start swapping parts over....

I spent about $500 on the whole new front brake assembly on the Ranger (pads/rotors/calipers) and it would be nice to use them, rather than see them go with the carcass to the auto wreckers....

Both have the 4.0 l engine, push button 4WD...Only difference is the Explorer is an auto, ranger was a manual tranny...

Thanks in advance, I tried to use the search feature, but there is so much stuff on the site, I really could not find the answer to the question.....

If the Exploreer deal does not work I may be able to get my hands on a 1989 BroncoII also, so same question on that compatibility...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should share all the same drivetrain components, except the Ranger rear uses 28 spline axleshafts where the Explorer rear uses 31 spline shafts. The engine management systems are quite different, so the computer's won't readily swap over.

The good thing is that the Ranger is a 4.0L so you have the D35/8.8 instead of the D28/7.5. So all your brake items should swap over no problem, but I'd compare them just to be sure. The explorer has different engine and cab wiring harnesses then the Ranger, however, you can pull the whole wiring harness out and swap over the engine and dash harnesses and the computer should work.

How about finding a used M5OD to replace the one in the ranger?

Locally a tranny like that is about $1200 rebuilt and then the garage is estimating the same to swap them out......

I am only concerned about the brakes. I think they should be similar (hoping) as both are 4X4 with the 4.0 litre V-6...I was just hoping someone on the site could confirm it prior to me buying the explorer (Its about 2 hours drive away)...

Back