• Register Today It's free!

Condensation inside fog lights.

Machine090767

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Here's the scene: Explorer parked most of the time in a warm, dry garage.
Fog lights have not been used in a long time.
Explorer hasn't been in the rain for 6 days.
Noticed today that both fog lights are completely "Fogged over" with condensation on the lens. (inside)
Bulbs have not been removed since I got the explorer (8 months ago) and never had this condensation problem before.
Is there an easy fix?
Thanks.

A seal around the bulb could have been slightly pinched, twisted etc. The air temp / humidity could have been perfect for it to be noticeable now. I assume hot air from the engine made it's way into the fog and cooled at night. Or, just heat from the daytime and road was enough of a temp change into the night. Either way, I'd assume a slight air leak between the clear plastic and the black plastic housing, or the bulb.

There is also a small piece of breathable fabric on these fog lights that likes to accumulate dust and road dirt. I imagine it is
designed to mitigate these condensate issues but if it gets polluted it can cause them. You may
be able to feel it on the top of the light assembly, it is a small circle of fabric about the size of a thumbnail. I think the headlights have them as well.

I did a search and found this. As both the explorers have condensation inside fog light and a headlight in the other. We upgraded bulbs in the 09. Brighter headlamp and yellow foglights which are much better. Maybe the moist cold air go in and trapped but there should be a vent tube as I have seen on other vehicles for air to move in and out with temperature. Maybe it will clear once the warm weather comes back and the heat of the bulbs evaporates it.

Our so called winter has be all over the thermometer this winter. Up to +16C & down to -18C with lots of rain and humidity in the 90's for some time when it was warm. These large temperature swings likely contributed to this issue. I am wondering if anyone has also experience this. This was our Ontario winter anyway. Not much snow.

Back