Considering buying 01 Explorer Sport 4x4, any particular concerns about these? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering buying 01 Explorer Sport 4x4, any particular concerns about these?

Jasonuncloned

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan, WI
Hey everyone,

I’m considering buying a 2001 Explorer Sport 2 door 4x4 off of a family member. It’s an automatic with a 4.0 SOHC. I do know that the brakes and rack and pinion were done recently. It has 110,000 miles on it, and I’m a bit leery about buying something with higher miles and an auto trans and 4 wheel drive.

I’ve been doing some research on this website, and I’m gathering that a few things are common problems:

- the blend door

- sway bar end links

- timing chains

What mileage do these problems occur at usually (minus the blend door of course)?

How are the transmissions?

Are there other issues that I should be aware of?

I’m getting a good deal on it, but I just want to make sure I can expect it to last for a few years hopefully. Given the price I’ll be getting it for (probably $3,000), I will not opt to rebuild a trans or swap in a new motor if that goes. It’s starting to rust and the interior isn’t that great, so I couldn’t see myself putting that kind of money in it to keep it running. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My timing chain issues started at like 75k. if at all possible you should see if you can drive it before. The timing chain rattle occurs between 2500 and 3000 rpm's. some people have had their motors last for many many miles after the rattle started and haven't had any problems, while others have not had the best of luck. Put a good synthetic oil in it and keep it changed, and thats about all you can do without taking the motor apart to replace it...

Hopes this helps.

+1 what he said^

Has it done any towing? if so heavy or light?
Regular maintenance has been performed?
What motor oil was used in it?

If it drives well and theres no burning, leaking, or squeeking then go for it.

Could someone provide a link to what is meant by timing chain problems and sway bar end links?
Its been a while since I've been to this forum and I've lost all knowledge of where things are.

That being said, my 01 sport 4x4 (going on 60k now) has had its breaks replaced at around 55k(calipers and all due to rust), the shocks swapped out with monroe sensitracks at around 32k, the check engine light has been on for about 10k miles due to a exhaust gas recirculation valve code. This past winter, my 4 wheel drive got stuck on (once) after moving the switch to 2wd until the motor warmed up.

Sway bar end links are cheap and easy, nothing to worry about. The tranny's suck, as do the timing chain setup. Does it have a receiver hitch? Ball mounted in the bumper? Definitely check the trans fluids color. If its brown, turn it down.

99.5% of the SOHC's up to '01 are garbage.

Do yourself a favor and pass on it unless its one hell of a deal.

You never know when that chain/tensioner/guide is going to fail and thats $1k+ for most people to get repaired.

To my knowledge the maintenance has been kept up with, and it hasn't done any towing, I'm not really sure on the hitch setup but I could ask.

Is there any particular mileage range where people usually see the trans go?

Are they Ford Taurus unreliable?

The transmissions are just anemic. If abused, or have a hard life they fail early. They just aren't heavy duty enough for the truck. If it has lived an easy life, and had some fluid changes they can last. How hard are you on vehicles, and what are you planning on using the truck for?

I won't be off-roading it at all, and it's pretty unlikely that I'll be towing with it either. The present owner is actually my Mom, and she hasn't really abused it at all.

I asked her about the heater controls and if it has any timing chain noise today. She said the heater controls work fine, and she doesn't notice any noise from the chains. I am a little bit leary right now though, since she said that it will make a noticeable "clunk" while driving every once in awhile. Not frequently, but maybe once every 5 or 6 weeks. I'm wondering if this could be a trans issue.

I'm kind of on the fence. It's a good deal and it's better then what I'm driving now, but I don't want to buy it and have the trans or something go in a year and have to find another car. I'm driving a beater right now that I'm not expecting to last me more then a year. It's a 92 S-10 blazer with 231,000 on it and it's burning oil and leaking antifreeze. I've had to replace the water pump, heater core, fuel filter, and brakes this past year. That thing is a repair that costs more then $300 away from me committing it to a junkyard.

Go for it. You know the history, and there's nothing wrong with it currently. With nothing more than regular fluid and filter changes, there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't last several hundred-thousand miles. Chenge the trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. Do NOT flush it. A simple pan drop, filter change, and top it off with fresh are all that's needed.

Mine has been a daily driver for almost a decade. With 171,000 miles on it, some would say it's about to explode on principle alone. With regular maintenance, there's no reason they won't last.

$3,000 isn't really a smoking deal...especially considering it's your mom?

If you're that unsure about it, I would pass.

Back