Convert 02 Explorer from standard to towing package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Convert 02 Explorer from standard to towing package

MK19

Reaction score
City, State
Plantation, FL
My dad has a 2002 Explorer with the V6 and standard tranny/rear diff and wants to upgrade to the 373 LSD towing package. How easily is this accomplished? I realize he'll need the rear diff, but as far as the tranny goes- will he need to swap that out? Is there a stepping gear for final drive needed? Anyone ever do this or know what direction to point me in for answers? Thanks.

damon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been thinking the same thing for my '04 V8 AWD w/3.55s. Right now my Tow Cap is about 3k (even with the v8) if you go with 3.73s it jumps to 7k. Big Difference.
What I identified is:
Front Ring & Pinon 3.73 + Rebuild Kit
Rear Ring & Pinon 3.73 + Rebuild Kit
Rear LSD (is it required and which one?)
Re-program the PEC module
Anything else?
Jim

I have been thinking the same thing for my '04 V8 AWD w/3.55s. Right now my Tow Cap is about 3k (even with the v8) if you go with 3.73s it jumps to 7k. Big Difference.
What I identified is:
Front Ring & Pinon 3.73 + Rebuild Kit
Rear Ring & Pinon 3.73 + Rebuild Kit
Rear LSD (is it required and which one?)
Re-program the PEC module
Anything else?
Jim

Sounds about on point. I wonder if it'd be any cheaper to just go to a junkyard and try and get the rear diff and tranny off a wrecked truck?? The labor to swap all that stuff over is gonna be $$$ and a DIY is prolly out of my dad's time allocation for this project (he has the skill set tho :) )

I'm assuming this Explorer is 2WD since twice you mentioned nothing of changing the front diff gears.

The rest would be to remove the welded on frame hitch and weld in a 2" hitch. This may be problematic because the 3rd gen's the hitch is integrated into the frame. You can always go with one that goes under the bumper and leave the 1" hitch in there.

Then I'm not sure about trans cooling :dunno:

Then I'm not sure about trans cooling

There should be enough wrecked 3rd gens sitting in 'yards that one with an intact tranny cooler could be tracked down... if what the dealer told me back last year is accurate, it's just one extra cooler. MK19 -- you don't need a whole tranny, just the cooler.

The other thing you would need to make a towing package just like the factory setup would be the 7-pin trailer electrical connector... 120-something bucks from Ford, includes the connector, housing, and harness (kinda high, IMO... found that out when my connector got the water/dust shield ripped off of it and just tried to get the plastic cover).

There should be enough wrecked 3rd gens sitting in 'yards that one with an intact tranny cooler could be tracked down... if what the dealer told me back last year is accurate, it's just one extra cooler. MK19 -- you don't need a whole tranny, just the cooler.

No tranny? What about the gear ratios??? I haven't dealt much with automatic transmissions, but my Subaru STi manual 6-speed swap involves the rear diff as well as the tranny so that the final drive ratio is achieved.

In '04 not sure about '02 it should be really close and there seems to be very little difference between a Class II and Class III. The transmission Cooler is already there, they used to pump Trans fluid through the Radiator, not any more, it has its own cooler - my guess its the same size. Transmission is the same on my ‘04, they only need to reprogram the shift points. The Class III hitch is bolt on with Wire Harness 7pin if you can find a junkyard one, takes 20min to swap with a Class II. I'd stay away from Junkyard Rear Diff, they seem to have a lot of problems unless you knew it was rebuilt or found a much newer one that fit or if you find junkyard have that rebuilt it while you have it out.
Of course double check with Part No.

Jim.

I'm pretty sure the Gen3's hitch is bolted. Atleast our '02s was. The new '07 is welded however.

In '04 not sure about '02 it should be really close and there seems to be very little difference between a Class II and Class III. The transmission Cooler is already there, they used to pump Trans fluid through the Radiator, not any more, it has its own cooler - my guess its the same size. Transmission is the same on my ‘04, they only need to reprogram the shift points. The Class III hitch is bolt on with Wire Harness 7pin if you can find a junkyard one, takes 20min to swap with a Class II. I'd stay away from Junkyard Rear Diff, they seem to have a lot of problems unless you knew it was rebuilt or found a much newer one that fit or if you find junkyard have that rebuilt it while you have it out.
Of course double check with Part No.

Jim.

Thanks Jim. So from what I gathered, my dad needs to do the following:

A. Locate and install a 373 LSD rear diff off of an Explorer that was set up for the towing package and have it checked out or have his R&P swapped out plus install an LSD (I think it's needed)

B. Ensure a tranny cooler is installed- if not, install one such as OEM

C. Replace hitch with class III

D. Have dealer flash ECU and setup tranny to work with new tranny gear ratio/towing pkg

How much is going to be towed that all this work is deemed necessary?

How much is going to be towed that all this work is deemed necessary?

for real!! i mean its alot of work and money. I would just try putting a 2" receiver and call it a day if you don't tow daily. If its once in awhile,it shouldn't be a problem. I know it all depends on the weight of what your towing..but still the truck should handle it as is. Just my 2cents

its once in awhile,it shouldn't be a problem. I know it all depends on the weight of what your towing..but still the truck should handle it as is.

I've never towed a large trailer, but I've read a lot on this board about it. I've read MG's threads, and it seems that, at the LEAST, a tranny cooler is an excellent investment, if you're going to be pulling a heavy load regularly, or you'll end up roasting your tranny slowly unless you're extremely careful.

I've never towed a large trailer, but I've read a lot on this board about it. I've read MG's threads, and it seems that, at the LEAST, a tranny cooler is an excellent investment, if you're going to be pulling a heavy load regularly, or you'll end up roasting your tranny slowly unless you're extremely careful.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that. Thats like one of the first things you should do to any truck if its going to be towing.:thumbsup:

Thanks Jim. So from what I gathered, my dad needs to do the following:

A. Locate and install a 373 LSD rear diff off of an Explorer that was set up for the towing package and have it checked out or have his R&P swapped out plus install an LSD (I think it's needed)

B. Ensure a tranny cooler is installed- if not, install one such as OEM

C. Replace hitch with class III

D. Have dealer flash ECU and setup tranny to work with new tranny gear ratio/towing pkg

The limited slip isn't required. For some reason it's included in the ratio upgrade on Explorers, has been since the end of the first generations. If you ask me it's nearly useless, it will only help provide traction on a slippery surface when the surfaces under the rear tires are only slightly different. Lift a rear tire in the air, or bury one in the mud, and it will act like an open differential.

My V8 with tow package has the 3.73 gears, but it has regular open diffs because it's equiped with the advancetrac traction control, making the limited slip diffs unnecessary.

I've read that the only 'cooling' accessory difference between tow package explorers and non tow package explorers is the addition of an engine oil cooler on the V6 models. Evidently they are standard on the V8.

Read more here:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2002/2002_max_trailer_weights.pdf

I also believe the speedometer gear will have to be changed out for 3.73 gears rather than 3.55's to keep from throwing the speedo and odometer off, unless it's done entirely by the PCM and it can all be done via electronics.

Back