Could leaky rear seal kill the starter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could leaky rear seal kill the starter?

FLwireman

Reaction score
City, State
DeFuniak Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Xploder
I have leaking valve cover gaskets, which is what I think killed the starter. I have been told by someone I don't necessarily have faith in, that the rear seal is leaking also. I drove 70 miles round trip and the starter ended up oil fried. I think it was just an accumulation from the valve cover gaskets. Just seems to me a rear seal oil leak would just be streamed back and down, not up toward the starter. Valve cover gaskets I can do, but I am too rickety to be doing a rear seal.
What you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be inclined to think that your assesment is correct, More than likely it is the valve covers causing it. If the rear main is leaking enough to get oil on the starter, well, that would be bad news lol. You are in Florida, so this may not apply to you, but I have seen more than one valve cover rust out and leak oil.

My rear main seal leaks as does the oil pan gasket. Valve covers are dry. No oil on the starter. My driveway yes but not the starter.

Usually it's a valve cover gasket or head gasket that leaks enough to get onto and into the starter. A rusty valve cover with a hole or that's otherwise compromised would do it too.

It's possible for the rear seal to leak enough that it gets into the starter, because of the location of the starter on the transmission, but if it's leaking that much you'll usually see the oil dripping on the bottom of the oil pan and where the engine and transmission bolt together.

Back