could somebody plz | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

could somebody plz

Reaction score
City, State
shamokin pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
could somebody please measure the distance between their front frame rails for me it doesnt have to be exact i hit a guard rail and the frames bent before the suspension so im going to heat it up with a torch and bend it back if the damn votech doesnt do it in the next couple days

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Uhhhhhhhh
are you sure you grasp the full gravity and the extent of what you wish to accomplish ?

My question is, if you hit it hard enough to bend the frame, there would HAVE to be some sort of suspension damage, not to mention body damage.

And heating a frame rail with a torch to bend it doesn't work. Ask me how I know :D

the way it hit it snapped the spindle bent the tie rod and put a crack in the rack and pinion i got all the parts to fix it...you can see right where the frames bent its before the suspension...i was gonna heat it up and little and pull on it with a come along.....and suprising enough there was no sheet metal damage the only thing that was screwed up was the bumper and the header panel and the windsheild from my head...and i took and autobody class for 2 years in votech so i thought i could handle it

Won't a come-a-long drag the truck before it bends the frame?

i planned on anchoring it to a couple trees in the yard and heating the frame

Won't a come-a-long drag the truck before it bends the frame?

Yes.

Like I said, I have tried to bend my frame before, it's not easy.

I bent the frame horn for the front bumper after my wreck. I tried everything. Bottle jack between rails, ties one side off on a post and put a come-a-long to the other side. Heated it with both of those things, hit it with a sledge. Didn't budge.

I would recommend taking it to a shop that has a frame machine and having them bend it back. That way you know it's square and that it's done right.

how much does that cost? ive been waiting for the votech and they just keep telling me next week for like the past 5 weeks

You should be able to have it pulled for about $200. Takes the frame machine about an hour to hook up and 25 seconds to pull. (At least for my old frame guy)

my truck got rear ended at 50 broke the shackle buckled the rear frame, f'd up the bumber broke a taillight and bent the other side shackle, all set and done with a tierod end for 800 bucks...

the way it hit it snapped the spindle bent the tie rod and put a crack in the rack and pinion i got all the parts to fix it...you can see right where the frames bent its before the suspension...i was gonna heat it up and little and pull on it with a come along.....and suprising enough there was no sheet metal damage the only thing that was screwed up was the bumper and the header panel and the windsheild from my head...and i took and autobody class for 2 years in votech so i thought i could handle it

well if you took AB for two years than you know that there is more than one control point involved in this pull.
You should also know the risks in heating a frame rail.
And obviously you are well aware of the pulling power of lack there of of a come-a-long on a full frame vehicle.
Two years of votech should have well educated you on the safety factors in a frame pull.
I'll assume you know the tollerances and the perameters you can get all your control points to fall in to restore the frame to a correct state thus retunring the vehicle to pre accident contition able to withstand like kind and type impact resulting in safe prorper results.

You do know what you are doing right ?

now the votech is finally takin it monday so im going to drop it off friday...hoorah...i just was getting so tired of waiting i just wanted to bend it banck enough to bolt the bumper on and didnt care about anything else...i havent been working becuz of having no vehicle and im pretty much brok so i was looking for some kind of alternate option....i installed the steering rack yesterday, it wasnt too bad but you deff do have to do sum twisting and pullin to get it out

Back