Couple Problems with the X

towbar

Reaction score
City, State
Akron, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 limited
Hello all,
I purchased my '03 limited about 2 yrs ago and recently i have been having some issues with it.

First one is that when I come up to a stop light and apply the breaks, the rpms drop way low and it starts to surge and will then stall. It will then start right back up and drive like normal the rest of the time. It seems to only do this within the first couple times stopping. After its been driven a bit it doesnt do it. Sometimes it doesnt do it at all.

Another problem Im having, which might be related but not sure, is that when I am decellerating from say 50mph it will buck a little. Whether i have my foot on the brake or off of it. If you give it some gas again it will stop. The best i could describe it is it feels like your running over a bump on a smooth road every second or so. No matter what speed im going it is the same. It does not speed up or slow down with the vehicle. If that makes any sense.

Other than that I love the truck.... anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Jason
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? I had a similar issue with the stalling, took it to Ford, and they put a new fuel filter in there and haven't had a problem since.

This is gonna sound dumb... but as far as i know it hasnt. I havent replaced it and Im sure the prior owner didnt even. To be honest, I didnt even think about. I've heard of so many problems with the trans that I just got kinda fixated on that. I'll have to change the fuel filter out and see what happens. It needs it anyways. Thanks a lot for your help.

No not dumb at all. It may or may not solve it, but I sure hope it will. Good luck and keep me posted.

I think that both of your issues may be caused by a bad IAC (idle air control) valve. The stalling may be happening because the IAC is sticking and not allowing enough air to bypass the throttle plate to maintain idle speed.

I think your other issue may also be caused by the IAC sticking closed as well, because it is supposed to act as a "dashpot" to allow some air in when you close the throttle under deacceleration.

The IAC is infamous on the 2nd gen Explorers because the failure rate is pretty high. If you search on IAC, you will find a lot of posts about IAC problems.

I think that both of your issues may be caused by a bad IAC (idle air control) valve. The stalling may be happening because the IAC is sticking and not allowing enough air to bypass the throttle plate to maintain idle speed.

I think your other issue may also be caused by the IAC sticking closed as well, because it is supposed to act as a "dashpot" to allow some air in when you close the throttle under deacceleration.

The IAC is infamous on the 2nd gen Explorers because the failure rate is pretty high. If you search on IAC, you will find a lot of posts about IAC problems.

I would replace the fuel filter anyway, but my money is on a sticking IAC valve, too.

Thanks for the replies.... One thing that ive noticed about the bucking when letting off the gas pedal is that it only does it sometimes. Id say probably half the time when you let off.
I was playing with it today and found that if I put it in 4x4 High it will stop doing it imediately. If im decellerating and click the high button it will stop... as soon as I put it back in auto it will start bucking again. So I think ive narrowed it down to something, but Im not sure what. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Jason

What fuel?

What type of fuel are you using? Which brand? Add any additives?

Dying at stops

I agree with Dogfriend. I had a 96 4.0 that would do the same thing. If you can get it to do it tap on the IAC and most of the time it will increase the idle speed. Take and clean it with a good carb cleaner then see how it works out. Thanks Nick:salute:

Ive tried all kinds of different brands of fuels and different octane levels along with different fuel system cleaners.... doesnt make it run any different.... Ill clean the IAC tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
Thanks

You agreed to change the fuel filter...

so with all the advice you have, just start using one fuel consistently too. it can't hurt... I'd stick with Chevron, but you have the best advice those guys up there gave you... 3rd gens are picky about fuels too.

I was playing with it today and found that if I put it in 4x4 High it will stop doing it imediately. If im decellerating and click the high button it will stop... as soon as I put it back in auto it will start bucking again. So I think ive narrowed it down to something, but Im not sure what. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Jason

That's pretty interesting. I'd pull the fuse for the 4X4 control module and drive it for awhile (not on ice and snow). See if your problem clears up. If that helps it could be several things that are causing the module to pulse the 4wd. Uneven tire size, bad or dirty shaft speed sensor(s), or the module itself could be bad. Let us know.

Well, i cleaned the IAC and that seems to have stopped the surging.
As for the jerking, i pulled the fuse for the control module and it hasnt done it since. After doind some searching, Im finding out that the controld module is something that has caused this for several other trucks. Looks like Im buying another one soon.
Thanks for all your help guys. :D

Back