Cruise (out of) Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise (out of) Control

Neanderthal57

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT AWD
I just bought a 97 XLT AWD. One of the things I didn't check before I bought it was the cruise control.

Has anyone ever heard of fake cruise control buttons on the steering wheel? They look right but they don't push. When you look at them from the side the unit is one solid piece with no spaces between the buttons that would allow the buttons to be pressed independently.

I also find no "cruise control" light on the dash. It just seems odd. I've never seen anything quite like it.

They don't push much if any at all.
You most likely have a bad sensor located at the end of the brake master cylinder. Very typical for them to fail and when it does the cruise doesn't engage.

The cover is one piece on that generation. They should be somewhat soft to allow for you to press them. Might be time to invest in some replacement ones.

You can see they are one piece covers in this pic, found in a post by Aldive on cruise control button replacement...
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/koonjoe/switch_004.jpg

ALOT of ones I find in the junkyard have rock hard button covers, and seem like they would break off the whole unit off when pressed hard to make them work...

Thanks for the replies. I checked the switch and its full of water or something wet. It will all have to wait for the weekend. I will replace that as well as the steering wheel buttons. They are hard as rocks with no give at all. Thanks again.

Back